Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More news, as follows:

Crumbling bridge may pose SCUBA hazard

Contributor.jpg
Reported by: Eric Glasser
Email: eglasser@wptv.com
Photographer: Dan Puente
Last Update: 9/29 8:32 pm

Blue Heron Bridge

RIVIERA BEACH, FL -- One of the favorite local scuba spots for divers in Palm Beach County is the east side of the Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach, because it's easy enough for beginners, and teaming with rare wildlife and small wrecks from recent hurricanes.
But recently, work crews have been responding to reports of a potential hazard. Large chunks of concrete falling from the eastern flat portion of the bridge.
"We sent a crew Sunday to go check it out," says John Danielsen, a bridge engineer with the Florida Department of Transportation.
Danielsen says FDOT is aware of the crumbling concrete.
They work with a subcontractor to maintain the 60 year-old span.
The crew out at the bridge last week identified another spot of concern, and will be back out again, he says, this week.
"We're gonna check the whole bridge again. We're gonna remove that little spot to make sure it doesn't fall," said Danielsen.
From the divers' persepctive the danger is pretty clear. If a chunk of concrete falls on soemone's head it could knock a diver unconscious, or if large enough, even pin someone under the water.
"You're under the water breathing on scuba, that's not exactly the safest scenario," says Mark Kosarin, a dive instructor at the nearby Force-E dive shop.
"I've heard it from more than one diver that pieces of the bridge are actually coming down. Which is very sad," says Kosarin, "Because i'm not gonna bring my students under there now."
The bridge itself has visible sections where concrete has fallen away, and deep cracks where it looks like more could detach soon.
The DOT says it's moved-up its scheduled replacement of the entire bridge to next year.
Until then, divers, and for that matter drivers, may be comforted to know that state workers are aware of the cracking issues.
"We'll be on the bridge every month, every two months, whatever it takes to make that bridge safe," says Danielsen.
FDOT also says a full inspection of the bridge is normally scheduled once every two years, but given the situation, they have accelerated that to once every six months.

I was there Sunday morning, but the vis was so bad I did not see the slab. However, a fisherman demanded I "turn him loose" from my dive flag.. his hook was in my line!:shakeshead:

I was there Sunday morning also, didn't see the slab, I assume it's on the east side? My buddy and I were headed to the east side, but the only one's we saw out there said vis was terrible (perhaps you?) so we headed to the west side. We actually had about 10-15' for the first 30 minutes before it got really bad.

I was a late arrival and did a solo dive. Despite the bad vis, I stayed on the east side. Only people I saw were a couple entering the water same time as I, and I mentioned how cold the water was getting.

Viz was bad, but I had a wonderful time! Nancy saw her first Seahorse, first Batfish, first Cushion Star, first Golden Coral Shrimp (first for me too), first Bristle Worm. How can you beat a dive like that?

You can't. I have not seen a Batfish yet either. I plan to dive there sometime around Christmas / New Years if they haven't closes the area for maintenance. BHB is still one of my favorite dive sites. Just way cool critters there.

i am going to be down there on Sunday the 12th -
anyone wanna show me the ropes?

I hear you should only go at slack tide.

Yes. Plan to be in the water about 15 minutes before high tide and you'll be OK. This is a great site that I hope remains available to us. I'll be there on Oct. 5.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom