Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What's the word on Blue Heron bridge? It's been ages since I last checked it out; last time the parking lot was closed, and the gate on the other side of the road was locked. So I didn't even try it for fear that it was closed off (legally) or something.

I was last there in late December. At that time, you could "legally" dive the small span by walking in from the boat ramp and swimming to the span. You had to park along the road and not in the park itself, however. Also, the park rangers wanted you to have a dive flag. Now, if you go on off hours, it is easy to hop the wall and go in from the south side of the small span which is what I've done the last couple of times.

Of note, I haven't seen seahorses there recently though others have. Most of the other life has returned since the 2004 hurricanes that decimated the area. I've recently seen lots of tropicals, eels, lobster, octobus, stingrays, horseshoe crabs, sea robins, a strange looking sea hare, and a southern stargazer. There is still one "wreck" under the bridge which has attracted some schooling fish.

I heard from one park ranger that they would be opening the park in January and that when it opened they would be taking down the gate from the south side opening. When that happens it should be back to Blue Heron Bridge diving as usual.

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering the same myself. I'm looking forward to being able to dive there again. It's the ugliest most interesting dive site in Florida. Every time I dive there I see something new or interesting. You see stuff that you don't see any place else... along with the toilet, sewing machine, hub caps, beer bottles, etc...

Al

Last week I drove by .The parking lot was not open. I have heard that you can dive there. You always had to desplay a dive flag.

K.... called the Palm Beach County Parks dept
1-561-966-6600

and while one boat ramp is open, and parking is open for boat trailers, she recommended against scuba diving as they6 are still working on rebuilding the boat docks.

So, the park is closed, but the boat ramp is open.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom