Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last minute decision to sneak in a dive this afternoon. Vis around 10' due to the wave action outside the inlet stirring up the sand. Temperature was 75°F, and I was ill prepared (skin/hooded vest) so I was teeth-chattering cold by the end of my ~100 min dive.

Didn't find the specific critter I was searching for, however was able to round up a few decent photos...

This little crab found it's way to the back of my glove, so I figured I'd take a photo:

THK5540.jpg

There were some big jawfish around but I took a photo of a little one:

THK5547.jpg

I chased this Barred Hamlet around for a while to get a photo from the angle I wanted:

THK5550.jpg

This grunt on the other hand was pretty cooperative:

THK5553.jpg

Finally, I spent some time with a sailfin blenny:

THK5562.jpg

I was lucky enough to get a couple shots timed nicely:

THK5579.jpg

THK5583.jpg

That wreck is in 110 feet so I don't think it is tide dependent, but current and vis can fluctuate wildly day to day.
Probably more to do with how close the Gulf stream is but I claim no expertise on how that works.
Aren't you overdue for a bridge dive?
John

Was real cold getting out. Drove home in the wet suit. Saw one Saturday and another Yesterday. Must be a common style?

View attachment 196676View attachment 196677

These are Flabellina dushia, page 238 in the Caribbean Sea Slugs book. Used to be very common, this year not so much. For some reason, there are only a few around now. They feed on hydroids and the hydroids have been dying off.

That wreck is in 110 feet so I don't think it is tide dependent, but current and vis can fluctuate wildly day to day.
Probably more to do with how close the Gulf stream is but I claim no expertise on how that works.
Aren't you overdue for a bridge dive?
John

Well past due. Just sorta preparing to go gently into that good night. :pityparty:

110 dern feet?? Sounds pretty scary - and short.

110 is the sand. Best part of the wreck is 80-90 feet, which is where most of the gorgeous encrusting cup corals and sponges are. With the right mix and a steel 120 you can get in a 40 minute dive or a little longer. Not bridge length, for sure, but still very nice when you are surrounded by 50 or so 500 pound fish.

Dove last night. Good vis, easily 20-30 ft depending on where you were. Vis dropped after the tide shift. Temp 76.

Saw a lesser electric ray, 3 stargazers, an octo, 2 southern rays, and lots of lobster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom