Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Join Pura Vida Divers for a Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive on Friday, December 28th at 7:00pm. This is a FREE event!

121127-190957-0192.jpg

Itinerary for the evening:

Check in will begin at 6:00pm at Pura Vida Dive Shop. All divers must complete a liability release and receive a parking pass before heading over to Phil Foster Park. A special pass is required to be allowed to remain in the park after dark.

High tide is at 8:13pm. Our staff will be starting their dive at 7:00pm. You may join them or start your dive whenever you feel the most comfortable. However, everyone must be out of the park by 10:00pm or you WILL GET A TICKET!

You may join the group dive, dive on your own with a buddy, or request a private guide. Each dive group must have a legal dive flag and evey diver must have a primary, back up, and tank light. Please register with Pura Vida Divers in advanced to guarantee your resevation.

For reservations call or email.
info.pvd@puravidadivers.com

Hope to see you all there!

Sounds like fun. I sent you an email to save us a few spaces.

Hi Everyone, I will be visiting the inlaws again over the holidays, which means time to dive the bridge again. I'm looking for a dive buddy the weekend before Christmas. Thanks, I can't wait,
Tim

Great day today. Vis 20+ in most areas in the beginning. Temps 77-79

5 separate seahorses in 5 different areas. Don't ask where, too many morons collecting. Lots of southern stingray, no spotted eagle rays like last time. Jawfish galore but none with eggs in their mouths. Lobster and the usual reef fish including 1 hogfish. No pics. Did not take camera but my dive buddy did.

101 minutes in a 3.5mm full, no hood or gloves. Very comfortable temps. As usual, not a ton of divers during the week.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Today's vis was about 10ft w/temps down to 76 deg.

Found a juvenile Lionfish near the boat dock south of the bridge.

Yeah vis was not the best today no meter where we went. Had 3 ow students today so the vis was not great around us anyway during skills time anyway. My temp readings were about 79 in most areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have been seeing a manatee in the swim area for the last couple of days. Because no diving is allowed in the swim area, we decided to do a little snorkeling and brush up on our freediving, too. We did not find the manatee again, but we were amazed at the number of creatures we saw in the shallow swim area. Plus, it was a lot easier to find and keep up with the school of spotted eagle rays that frequent the eastern bridge area while on snorkel. The area is definitely worth snorkeling from time to time.

Conditions are great at the bridge now. Crystal-clear water (during high-tide, of course) and 77 degree water temperature. Here's one of the photos we took during our snorkeling adventure:

View attachment 141954

There is a blog entry with many more photos at: Snorkeling at Phil Foster Park :: Pura Vida Divers

There are everywhere!

eagle4.jpg

[FONT=&amp]Dotterel Filefish (Aluterus heudelotii)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/7214555256/in/set-72157629767706280/[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Since I haven't been able to dive the bridge since August, I've finally gotten back to my "project" of trying to add tags and titles of fish and critter ID's to my underwater pics on Flickr. I thought I was making good progress with my Humann and DeLoach books and Google Image search for reference. But, had to replace my dying cellular phone and ended up with my first, fancy smart phone. Well, an iPhone 4 (not even 4S).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Anyway, I was then able to download that Smithsonian fish ID app that I heard about on here, as well as Rob Myers's Reef Fish Florida and Caribbean app (only five bucks). [/FONT]:D

[FONT=&amp]With all the pics I’ve posted there, I’ve now started to hear from various marine biologists, including said Rob Myers, Benjamin Victor, and Ross Robertson – one of the authors of the aforementioned Smithsonian app. They’ve all turned out to be most helpful with the ID’s.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Unfortunately, their help has also made it apparent that I’ve made a lot of *mis*-identifications. [/FONT][FONT=&amp] For example, that Dotteral Filefish above was labeled as a Scrawled Filefish. Heck, I’d never even *heard* of a Dotteral.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Hope to get around to correcting some others that I’ve run across at the bridge. Might be some others that I hadn’t known existed, too. . .[/FONT]

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 08:29 AM ----------

[FONT=&amp]Hope to get around to correcting some others that I’ve run across at the bridge. [/FONT]

IMG_4270wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I had thought that these were Spottail Pinfish (Diplodus holbrookii). Apparently they aint. . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom