Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe the parking lot fills up so early and it's not even a holiday, ugh. I want to do some more weekend diving at the bridge, but I'd have to be there earlier than what I wake up for work Mon-Fri. I'm just not making it to the bridge as much as I'd like.

Anyways, how awesome you caught the behaviors of the Blennies.
I hear you. I would have preferred to go south to Lauderdale By the Sea this weekend, except the wind was not cooperating, windfinder was showing 14-15 mph for LBTS. Some what annoying to have to show up at 0710 to get a parking spot for a high tide that is at least three hours away. Talk about a tragedy of the commons. I often wonder if it would be better or worse if it were not tidal dependent, i.e. if you could show up and dive at anytime of the day, would it make it more or less crowded?

Went to the bridge for diving. Arrived at 0710 for a 1049 high tide. Parking lot filled up rapidly after my arrival. I snorkeled the trail from 0815 to 0900, did a REEF fish count, 50 species in 45 minutes. Entered the westside on scuba at 0915. Visibility similar to yesterday a cloudy 30ft, sea temp 84f. Did a REEF fish count 74 species in 70 minutes. This was the third day in a row that I found an iphone. The 2 from Friday and Saturday were older models with cracked screens, clearly ruined. The one I found today came on when I touched the screen, Apple said the new 12's were water proof but I didn't believe it until I saw it. Screen was locked, but by the time I got home there was message on the screen said "Iphone lost please call 954-xxx-xxxx". So I called, the owner was super happy to get her phone back, apparently she had an issue while paddle boarding yesterday. For sure the standout of the day was a Pugjaw Wormfish. I believe with this species its a matter of being somewhat common but rarely observed because they are shy and hide in burrows. I found two of them and was able to get video of one of them. I have a particular fondness for this species because if you look in Humann's 4th edition the image of the Pugjaw Wormfish is mine. Second observation of interest was the school of French Grunts near the rubble pile under the fishing pier. Normally they form a loose unpolarized school. But today while I was there, they formed a very tight polarized round school almost like a bait ball, unfortunately my image does not do it justice. Tide had just gone slack so there was very little water movement. Maybe lack of water movement had something to do with the tightness of the school. Respectively, Florida Barred Hamlet ( aka Floridian Hamlet). tight French Grunts, iphone working underwater, Porkfish Squadron, and Pugjaw Wormfish video.
07-31-22 Florida Barred Hamlet.jpeg
07-31-22 French Grunts.jpeg
07-31-22 iphone.jpeg
07-31-22 Porkfish Squadron.jpeg

That pugjaw is sweet! Nice find!
There used to be one in the rubble pile adjacent to the hammerhead statues but I have not seen it for a while. Observed a smaller one in the vicinity of one of the sunken boats on the edge of the channel.

I can't find a Zebra Sole in Humann's 4th edition or A Field Guide to Coastal Fishes. The species that seems most likely from range data is the Naked Sole. I can't find a Zebra Sole in STRI either. Admittedly, Zebra Sole seems like it would be a much more appropriate common name.
Awwwhhh I bet it's now on the snorkel trail, the hammerheads are not that far away
seemed absolutely hell bent on stirring up the bottom with each and every meaningless fin stroke. I don't really understand it, they never seem to stop and look at anything, just a lot aimless swimming around, at least from my perspective. View attachment 735840
Beautiful shot of the sailfin!!!!
Amazing how I'll be shooting a something really cool that everyone wants to see and divers just blast on past mucking up the viz, completely unaware of what they are doing.. Next vent is how many are on the surface where it's pretty shallow and kicking up the bottom disturbing the critters that live there. How more seahorses have not been killed by clueless divers is a testament to their resiliance..
.... including the one that hates being photographed..
I hear you. I would have preferred to go south to Lauderdale By the Sea this weekend, except the wind was not cooperating, windfinder was showing 14-15 mph for LBTS. Some what annoying to have to show up at 0710 to get a parking spot for a high tide that is at least three hours away. Talk about a tragedy of the commons. I often wonder if it would be better or worse if it were not tidal dependent, i.e. if you could show up and dive at anytime of the day, would it make it more or less crowded?
My go to for windy days is kayaking. Started over at Riveria Beach Marina, circled Peanut Island, stopping at a spot to snorkel, then crossed the channel to Phil Foster park, showed my friend some seahorses, arriving as the last of the divers exiting. Getting a but too much sun, we headed back to the marina..

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0910 for a 1130 high tide, the park was not crowded when I arrived. Snorkeled the trail from 0930 to 1015, did a REEF fish 55 species in 45 minutes. Entered the westside on scuba at 1025. Visibility 35ft and sea temp at 85f. Did a REEF fish count 73 species in 65 minutes. I didn't encounter many other divers. Looking for the tiny and unusual, but found only the usual (not complaining, just stating as a matter of fact). Respectively, Blue Angelfish, Female Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Leopard Searobin, Pygmy Seabass, and Redear Herring Schooling they obscure your vision of everything else.
08-01-22 Blue Angelfish.jpeg
08-01-22 Bluethroat Pikeblenny.jpeg
08-01-22 Leopard Searobin.jpeg
08-01-22 Pygmy Seabass.jpeg
08-01-22 Redear Herring.jpeg

I often wonder if it would be better or worse if it were not tidal dependent, i.e. if you could show up and dive at anytime of the day, would it make it more or less crowded?
Maybe the dive crowd would be less but beach goers would fill some of the gaps too.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1005 for a 1300 high tide, the park was not crowded when I arrived. Snorkeled the trail from 1020 to 1105, did a REEF fish count 50 species in 45 minutes. By the time I returned to my truck, the parking lot was pretty much full. Entered the westside on scuba at 1125. It seems that the mixed school of Scaled Sardine, Spanish Sardine, Redear Herring, American Shad, and one or species I can't identify grows bigger every day, I did video of it today to see how long it would take to swim through it, about a minute. Visibility was 40ft, sea temp was 86f. Normally the warmer the sea temp the better, but by the end of dive I was a little uncomfortable in my 3mil. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in 60 minutes. The standout was a live Lightning Whelk, I have found plenty of Lightning Whelk shells in the past but I can't recall finding a live one out and about. Respectively, Lightning Whelk, Pygmy Filefish, Queen Angelfish, Spottail Goby, Trunkfish, Trunkfish 2, Shoal of Scaled Sardine Video, Underwater Tumbleweed Video, and Lightning Whelk Video.
08-03-22 Ligthning Whelk.jpeg
08-03-22 Pygmy Filefish.jpeg
08-03-22 Queen Angelfish.jpeg
08-03-22 Spottail Goby.jpeg
08-03-22 Trunkfish 1.jpeg
08-03-22 Trunkfish.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1005 for a 1300 high tide, the park was not crowded when I arrived. Snorkeled the trail from 1020 to 1105, did a REEF fish count 50 species in 45 minutes. By the time I returned to my truck, the parking lot was pretty much full. Entered the westside on scuba at 1125. It seems that the mixed school of Scaled Sardine, Spanish Sardine, Redear Herring, American Shad, and one or species I can't identify grows bigger every day, I did video of it today to see how long it would take to swim through it, about a minute. Visibility was 40ft, sea temp was 86f. Normally the warmer the sea temp the better, but by the end of dive I was a little uncomfortable in my 3mil. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in 60 minutes. The standout was a live Lightning Whelk, I have found plenty of Lightning Whelk shells in the past but I can't recall finding a live one out and about. Respectively, Lightning Whelk, Pygmy Filefish, Queen Angelfish, Spottail Goby, Trunkfish, Trunkfish 2, Shoal of Scaled Sardine Video, Underwater Tumbleweed Video, and Lightning Whelk Video.
View attachment 736478View attachment 736479View attachment 736480View attachment 736481View attachment 736482View attachment 736483
Nice that you can go everyday. I

My apologies if this has been addressed already elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering whether a night dive could be done at BHB without the need of a permit. I've seen reference that night dives can be done from a boat anytime (tide dependent), so am thinking the permit is necessary only if you are utilizing the park and it's accompanying facilities (e.g., parking lot). I'll be staying at Open Waters Resort, and from what I can tell they have direct access to the dive zone around BHB so I could skip having to go to the park itself for entry. I know that Pura Vida and Force-E do night dives, but the timing of high tide is too late during my stay and they don't have anything scheduled. I appreciate any help and insights in advance!

My apologies if this has been addressed already elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering whether a night dive could be done at BHB without the need of a permit. I've seen reference that night dives can be done from a boat anytime (tide dependent), so am thinking the permit is necessary only if you are utilizing the park and it's accompanying facilities (e.g., parking lot). I'll be staying at Open Waters Resort, and from what I can tell they have direct access to the dive zone around BHB so I could skip having to go to the park itself for entry. I know that Pura Vida and Force-E do night dives, but the timing of high tide is too late during my stay and they don't have anything scheduled. I appreciate any help and insights in advance!
Part of your challenge is that the beach closes at 10pm and you can be ticketed. The cops come by at 10pm all the time and get people moving out of the parking lot, even divers. This is why doing it by boat at any time is doable, but not from shore. Sometimes charters will do a night dive, you have to ask and make sure you have enough people to fill most of the boat. You could also pay for the entire boat. A six pack would be most cost effective.

So if HT is too late for a permitted/sponsored dive by FE or PV, then it's probably just too late to do a shore dive from the park.

I'm not familiar with the resort and whether it's ok to dive from them. I imagine if they have direct water access without having to enter the park, then you should be good to dive since technically it's the beach and parking lot which closes at 10pm. Please make sure you are familiar with diving BHB before doing this alone and have a safe entry and exit.

Part of your challenge is that the beach closes at 10pm and you can be ticketed. The cops come by at 10pm all the time and get people moving out of the parking lot, even divers. This is why doing it by boat at any time is doable, but not from shore. Sometimes charters will do a night dive, you have to ask and make sure you have enough people to fill most of the boat. You could also pay for the entire boat. A six pack would be most cost effective.

So if HT is too late for a permitted/sponsored dive by FE or PV, then it's probably just too late to do a shore dive from the park.

I'm not familiar with the resort and whether it's ok to dive from them. I imagine if they have direct water access without having to enter the park, then you should be good to dive since technically it's the beach and parking lot which closes at 10pm. Please make sure you are familiar with diving BHB before doing this alone and have a safe entry and exit.
Thank you, this is helpful. And I have no intentions of doing a night dive until after I've thoroughly familiarized myself with the site during some daytime dives (and will certainly be with a buddy).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom