Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice!

Color me crazy. I am actually sorta kinda thinking of heading to the bridge this weekend. Mid day high tide, conditions not condusive for beach diving.. sounds of a disaster.

but.. if I leave early enough...

Color me crazy. I am actually sorta kinda thinking of heading to the bridge this weekend. Mid day high tide, conditions not condusive for beach diving.. sounds of a disaster.

but.. if I leave early enough...
Been pleasantly quiet these last few days. We plan to be back tomorrow and perhaps weekend too when finding a parking is tougher than finding the seahorses :wink: Looks like some rain Saturday ... that could help. Maybe see/meet some of you guys out there sometime.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0950 for an 1106 high tide. Did not enter the water until 1029 because I was waiting for my phone to charge sufficiently to take with me on the dive. From the parking lot the water was somewhat deceiving today. Little to no wind, sunny, and water that looked like really good visibility. But on closer inspection you could see more green tint that blue tint. Sure enough, visibility was maybe 20ft with a milky haze to it. In my experience, things usually get worse before they get better under these conditions, we will see tomorrow. Sea temp @76f. Did a REEF fish count, 62 species in 60 minutes.

Despite the poor visibility when my mask broke the surface of the water I was immediately on a Spottail Flounder aka Two Spot Flounder (Bothus robinsi). This species has only been recorded 13 times out 176,666 surveys according to REEF database.. Other species of note were a Leopard Sea Robin, a possible Banded Pipefish, a Crested Pipefish, and Banded Blenny. I captured an image of the Banded Blenny with a Tiger Goby next to it, the fish are a little obscured by the spines of a sea urchin but I have included it anyway because its an interesting shot.

Last year I recorded a total of 257 species of fish at Blue Heron. I have never tried to match an image to every single species observed in one year. I am going to make an attempt at this year, though, it seems some species have an uncanny ability to be observed without image capture. For example I found a small Gold Spot Eel yesterday, but it receded back into its hole before I could get an image. Gold Spot Eels are far less common than their close and far more common cousin the Sharptail Eel. Gold Spot Eels have bright yellow spots with diffuse black borders, while Sharptail Eels have diffuse yellow or cream spots with no borders. Respectively, Barred Blenny and Tiger Goby together, Barred Cardinalfish, Juvenile Dusky Damsel, Peppermint Shrimp, and video of Two Spot Flounder.

01-06-22 Barred Blenny-Tiger Goby.jpeg
01-06-22 Barred Cardinal Fish.jpeg
01-06-22 Juvenile Dusky Damselfish.jpeg
01-06-22 Peppermint Shrimp.jpeg

:heart::heart::heart: Tiger gobies..
Why I don't know.. I just love em.. fun to shoot. They claim to be shy, but if you hang out a while they will come back and pose for ya..

Nice day at the BHB today. Feeling a little chillier, despite the computer telling me it's still 78! Not too crowded at least :)
Apart from the usual suspects, Nathalie got a couple of great shots today.. A ciliated mantis shrimp posing for the camera (we usually just catch the tail as it runs into a hole!), and a blue throat pike blenny giving us a display.

View attachment 699129View attachment 699130
Wow

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0950 for an 1106 high tide. Did not enter the water until 1029 because I was waiting for my phone to charge sufficiently to take with me on the dive. From the parking lot the water was somewhat deceiving today. Little to no wind, sunny, and water that looked like really good visibility. But on closer inspection you could see more green tint that blue tint. Sure enough, visibility was maybe 20ft with a milky haze to it. In my experience, things usually get worse before they get better under these conditions, we will see tomorrow. Sea temp @76f. Did a REEF fish count, 62 species in 60 minutes.

Despite the poor visibility when my mask broke the surface of the water I was immediately on a Spottail Flounder aka Two Spot Flounder (Bothus robinsi). This species has only been recorded 13 times out 176,666 surveys according to REEF database.. Other species of note were a Leopard Sea Robin, a possible Banded Pipefish, a Crested Pipefish, and Banded Blenny. I captured an image of the Banded Blenny with a Tiger Goby next to it, the fish are a little obscured by the spines of a sea urchin but I have included it anyway because its an interesting shot.

Last year I recorded a total of 257 species of fish at Blue Heron. I have never tried to match an image to every single species observed in one year. I am going to make an attempt at this year, though, it seems some species have an uncanny ability to be observed without image capture. For example I found a small Gold Spot Eel yesterday, but it receded back into its hole before I could get an image. Gold Spot Eels are far less common than their close and far more common cousin the Sharptail Eel. Gold Spot Eels have bright yellow spots with diffuse black borders, while Sharptail Eels have diffuse yellow or cream spots with no borders. Respectively, Barred Blenny and Tiger Goby together, Barred Cardinalfish, Juvenile Dusky Damsel, Peppermint Shrimp, and video of Two Spot Flounder.

View attachment 699279View attachment 699280View attachment 699281View attachment 699282

Thanks. We spotted the same species of flounder last Sunday (1-2-2022). I will post this weekend to see if you agree. North side of bridge.

I really appreciate your reports.

Went to the bridge today for diving. Arrived at 1055 for an 1153 high tide. The park was not crowded. Entered the water at 1115, sea temp @76F, and visibility was 25ft a little improved over yesterday. Did a REEF fish count 64 species in 60 minutes, including a Gulf Flounder and a Sawcheek Cardinal Fish. After the dive I had the pleasure of meeting @Jaan and his wife Natalie. The advertisement on the side of his car for dryfobs was a dead give away. Respectively, Chalk Bass, Florida Regal Sea Goddess, Gulf Flounder and Tobacco Fish.
01-07-22 Chalk Bass.jpeg
01-07-22 Florida Regal Sea Goddess.jpeg
01-07-22 Gulf Flounder 2.jpeg
01-07-22 Tobacco Fish.jpeg

Nice finds!

I'm gonna brave the crowds and head to the bridge today. Actually leaving in a few minutes! Yawn!

My plan is to dive the west side, and am driving a silver toyota camray if anyone wants to meet up.

Went to the bridge today for diving. After the dive I had the pleasure of meeting @Jaan and his wife Natalie.

It was great to meet you yesterday Peter @Pipehorse. Thanks for coming over to say hello.
Sorry we missed you today @Scuba_Jenny, perhaps we will catch you another time.

A couple of my favorites that Nathalie captured yesterday.
a) Hard time identifying this one, think it might be a Resh Pikeblenny. Swimming freely/and quick! Size of a pipefish.
b) A friendly yellow head jaw fish that came all the way out to check us out.
1641676873631.png

1641676896997.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom