Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for the first diving of the New Year today. I did not bag yesterday because of a hangover from New Years Eve, I drove to LBTS early knowing that wind conditions would make diving marginal; upon arrival decided it was doable but would not be enjoyable so I skipped it. Today arrived at about 0645 for a 0743 high tide. It was not crowded, plenty of parking available even on the southside facing the beach. Entered the water at 0720, sea temp was 77F, visibility was 45ft. Did a REEF fish survey, 67 species in 60 minutes. I am unsure I can do justice to @PBcatfish mermaid sighting today but I definitely have one in the "strange creature" category for sure. Observed a Lesser Electric Ray, recorded in the REEF database approximately 1 in 300 surveys that was the "cool" sighting. The "strange" sighting was the Peanut Worm (phylum Sipuncula, exact species unknown to me). Not sure, but I think this animal would normally be buried in the sand during the day, since it was an early morning dive think it got caught out in the sunlight in an unfavorable spot for burying itself. I hope to follow up tomorrow with various stats from REEF about number of surveys at BHB, and species recorded tomorrow. Respectively, Lesser Electric Ray (still), Peanut Worm (still), Lesser Electric Ray (vid), Peanut Worm (vid), and Hairy Blenny Pair (vid)

01-02-22 Lesser Electric.jpeg
01-02-22 Peanut Worm.jpeg

Went to the bridge for the first diving of the New Year today. I did not bag yesterday because of a hangover from New Years Eve, I drove to LBTS early knowing that wind conditions would make diving marginal; upon arrival decided it was doable but would not be enjoyable so I skipped it. Today arrived at about 0645 for a 0743 high tide. It was not crowded, plenty of parking available even on the southside facing the beach. Entered the water at 0720, sea temp was 77F, visibility was 45ft. Did a REEF fish survey, 67 species in 60 minutes. I am unsure I can do justice to @PBcatfish mermaid sighting today but I definitely have one in the "strange creature" category for sure. Observed a Lesser Electric Ray, recorded in the REEF database approximately 1 in 300 surveys that was the "cool" sighting. The "strange" sighting was the Peanut Worm (phylum Sipuncula, exact species unknown to me). Not sure, but I think this animal would normally be buried in the sand during the day, since it was an early morning dive think it got caught out in the sunlight in an unfavorable spot for burying itself. I hope to follow up tomorrow with various stats from REEF about number of surveys at BHB, and species recorded tomorrow. Respectively, Lesser Electric Ray (still), Peanut Worm (still), Lesser Electric Ray (vid), Peanut Worm (vid), and Hairy Blenny Pair (vid)

View attachment 698629View attachment 698630

I was in the water probably about 5 minutes before you. The mermaid sighting was at the extreme west end of the snorkel trail, past the sunken center console boat, probably close to 8:00. I saw her in the distance at first, but by the time I got close enough to catch her with the camera, she was already on her last pass. I'm guessing it was a staged photo shoot for something?

You seem to always capture a much greater variety of different species that I ever even notice there. Well done once again & thank you for posting.

I was there, too. In the lot at 6:35am. In the water shortly after. Saw:

Sea Robin (my favorite—walking)
Eagle Ray (kept returning)
Stargazer (saw it bury itself)
Big nurse shark
Big Jackknife (not a high hat)
Juvenile spotted drum
Juvenile Queen Triggerfish (one)
Garden eels
Several scorpion fish
A small lion fish
Yet-to-be identified blenny
Redlip blenny
Eyed flounder (definitely not a peacock)

…and then the usual suspects

Such a fun dive

Cool! Was there too. Listed my finds on the post (above). Missed the electric ray.

I was in the water probably about 5 minutes before you. The mermaid sighting was at the extreme west end of the snorkel trail, past the sunken center console boat, probably close to 8:00. I saw her in the distance at first, but by the time I got close enough to catch her with the camera, she was already on her last pass. I'm guessing it was a staged photo shoot for something?

You seem to always capture a much greater variety of different species that I ever even notice there. Well done once again & thank you for posting.

Pipehorse:

I was looking for pipehorses. None this time.

I know others may feel different…but that peanut worm is impressively…yuck! Ha!

Pipehorse:

I was looking for pipehorses. None this time.

I know others may feel different…but that peanut worm is impressively…yuck! Ha!
I agree, it is kind of gross, but its hard to stop yourself from watching it.

I agree, it is kind of gross, but its hard to stop yourself from watching it.
I remember the first time I found a fire bearded bristle worm, while fishing not far from the bridge. My gloves did not save me. Touching that thing was PAINFULLLLL. Some of those worms down there can be pretty dangerous.

I remember the first time I found a fire bearded bristle worm, while fishing not far from the bridge. My gloves did not save me. Touching that thing was PAINFULLLLL. Some of those worms down there can be pretty dangerous.
Ouch!

I wondered if perhaps I was hallucinating at the bridge this morning. I wondered if maybe I had gotten a bad tank of air or if someone had slipped me something funny. But my camera saw it too. Can anyone make an identification?View attachment 698534
One of the owners of a local dive shop is also a freediver and she does mermaid photos shoots and such.

One of the owners of a local dive shop is also a freediver and she does mermaid photos shoots and such.
Which shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom