Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for an 0730 high tide. The park was not crowed. Stayed on the west side for most of the dive. Ran across a few other divers returning to the east via the snorkel trail. Visibility was considerably improved from last week at about 30ft, water was blue not green. Sea temp 82-83f. I brought a couple shells I had in case I found the glass jar hermit crab from last posting, but no luck locating the hermit crab. Did a REEF fish survey 60 species in 60 minutes. The most interesting observation of the day was a feather duster worm. I took a picture of it because of its distinctive color pattern. There is no common name, the scientific name is Branchiomma luctuosum . According to INaturalist.org it has only been recorded once before in the western Atlantic Ocean. Respectively, Branchiomma bairdi, Branchiomma luctuosum, Goldspot Goby, Atlantic Spadefish, Spadefish Video, and Spadefish video.

06-16-23 Branchiomma bairdi.jpg
06-16-23 Branchiomma luctuosum.jpg
06-16-23 Goldspot Goby.jpg
06-16-23 Lone Spadefish.jpg

Dove the bridge on Father's Day. Arrived at 6 am for the 9:01 am high tide. In at 7:45 for 122 mins. Crowded. A bit murky. Despite that, found several Pipe-fish, lots and lots of Banded Jawfish (one with eggs, see below), 4 octopus (one being harassed by divers who were trying to take selfies with it (?!)), and several Pike Blennies. Had to add in the curious Sheepshead.

Pipehorse, please name the Pipe-fish below.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3638.jpeg
    IMG_3638.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3633.jpeg
    IMG_3633.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 59
  • P6184815.jpeg
    P6184815.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 67
Not bad yesterday in terms of viz. Clear bottom from the bridge, maybe 25-30ft.
Quickly deteriorated with all the kickers and bottom disturbers ...

We may try again today. I got my HP100s and loved that I could keep up with Nat on her HP80s
No more getting 'that look' when I'm down to 300 and she's still got over 1000. (so I guess it was a great BD gift for both of us :))

She's also been wanting a snoot ... I think that after looking at @MrChen 's pics .. that will definitely be next on the list (followed by years of practice :))

Yesterday 1 mile south of the bridge, 25' vis & water felt like mid 80's. Didn't have a thermometer with me. Visibility deteriorated quickly after the tide started going out. Half hour past high it was down to 10'.

Went to the bridge ever day for diving Sunday thru Friday of this past week. Sunday and Monday visibility was 25ft with green color, and sea temp of 80f. On Tuesday thru Friday visibility was better at about 30ft with more blue color. Between snorkeling and diving completed 14 REEF surveys. Did the west side everyday but Tuesday. No other divers encountered at anytime when I was on the west side. On Tuesday I stayed mostly north of the east bridge span and only encountered divers when getting to ready to exit. Observed two Juvenile Goliath Groupers, one under the east span bridge, and one on the snorkel trail Observed a large nudibranch on the west side, according to Inaturalist it has not been described to species level, only family level. I noticed when I was leaving Friday the construction company had moved a barge into place on the west side between the beach and first set of in water pilings. I had just been in that same an 1.5 hours prior to them doing that. The turbidity booms on the westside are now a joke. Shredded and in pieces, chains hanging off them in midwater. The barge was moved into place to paint the columns on top of the pilings. Looks like they are laying rebar on the roadway and should be ready to pour cement in the near future. The westside of the bridge remains untouched. After the cement is poured there will be no reason not to open up the beach underneath. However, I have no idea whether it will remain closed while they do the west side of the bridge (west of the boat channel). Respectively, Orangespot Gobies, Purple Mouth, Shortfin Pipefish, Juvenile Goliath Grouper, Unidentified Nudibranch and Sheepshead Video.

06-18-23 Pair of Orangespot Gobies.jpg
06-19-23 Purple Mouth Moray.jpg
06-19-23 Shortfin Pipefish.jpg
06-20-23 Goliath11.jpg
06-21-23 Dendrodoris warta.jpg

Went diving on Tuesday, Wednesday, Today at the bridge. All on the east side. Photos coming.

I dove Saturday with @Scuba_Jenny, @landonnin1, @SubNeo, @Wayward Son, @dmoore19, and one more buddy. It was quite the crew! :)

I felt like vis was mostly around 20ft and opened up to 30ft at some points, very hazy. The water was warm (haven't checked my computer), and the hamburger afterwards was spot on.

We all got there fairly early. They did close the parking lot at one-point, late morning. Thanks for the parking spot @landonnin1. HT was around 1:30p. The beach was fairly crowded.

There was a large southern ray in the sand under the east bridge, SW side. We found the usual, pipefish, seahorse, lancer dragonet, octos, etc. There were a pair of mating box crabs ladonnin1 got video of. Lots of silt where we found the seahorse, I'd have to spend a lot of time cleaning it up, so I gave up. Here are a couple of pics.

1687706167499.png
1687706213448.png

Attachments

• 1687706196305.png
    1687706196305.png
    583 KB · Views: 40
New friends great dives. Fun stuff. Thanks for the pics.

Hey did you guys see the cottonwicks too near the small bridge. Is it just me? I don’t recall seeing these at the bridge before,…

Attachments

• P6225887.jpeg
    P6225887.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P6235850.jpeg
    P6235850.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 48
  • P6235885.jpeg
    P6235885.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/