Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definite plus!!!

@Divin'Papaw I have been using a magnifying glass underwater since thirty years ago, when my eyesight was far better than it is today. I wear progressive eye glasses for normal day wear. Last summer I had the same prescription put in a mask, except they recommend bifocals as opposed to the progressives. I can hover within inches of anything and see most tiny critters with the bifocals. I used a Subsea x 10 magnifier, for looking through and for attaching to the camera to get smaller things somewhat enlarged. @MrChen and @Scuba_Jenny both had great thoughts on the subject. A few more, a lot of time it is about shape, not size or color. The seahorses that like to hide in Spaghetti Bryozoans are excellent at camouflage because of the fleshly appendage, but their shape gives them away all the time. A lot of times I am concentrating on finding a particular species, and make great discoveries of other species without ever finding what I started searching for in the first place. Try adjusting the concentration of your focal length, i.e. look out in front of at thirty inches, look out in front of you at 20 inches, at 10 inches. Instead of looking down, try looking parallel to the bottom. Peruse the Blue Heron Bridge Project on Inaturalist.org, almost 900 species have been reported for BHB. If you know what something looks like to begin with in first place, you have a better chance of finding it. A flashlight in even very well lit water is always a must as well.

Went to the bridge for diving today. It was not very crowded about what I would expect for a weekday 0952 high tide. It was bit breezy, and the water was chopped up some but vis was still thirty feet, with blue color, albeit a little hazy. Sea temp was 75f, improved from two days ago, I was still cold but not shivering the whole dive.

Entered the westside on scuba at 0915. Did a REEF survey of 57 species in 60 minutes. Observed Lined Seahorse, Octopus, Bumblebee Shrimp, Decorator Crabs, Squat Urchin Shrimp, other shrimp I could not identify and a Mantis Shrimp out of a burrow. Managed to avoid other divers for 98% of the dive. Respectively, Sponge Decorator Crab, Can You Find the Hydroid Decorator Crab, Gray Cowrie(live), Squat Urchin Shrimp on a West Indian Sea Egg Urchin, and Mantis Shrimp out of the burrow.

03-26-2024 Sponge Decorator.JPG
03-26-2024 Hydroid Decorator.JPG
03-26-24 Gray Cowrie.JPG
03-26-2024 Squat Urchin Shrimp.jpg
03-26-2024 Mantis Shrimp.jpg

and the water was chopped up some but vis was still thirty feet, with blue color, albeit a little hazy.
WOW!! Given the 7-9 foot waves right off shore yesterday,,I thought for sure that BHB viz would be completely trashed and zero'd. You are giving me hope for my Easter dives. Thank you for the conditions report !!!!!!!

I heard the day before the vis was 3ft at the bridge, and opened up yesterday. You diving Easter morning at the bridge?

You diving Easter morning at the bridge?
Closing out Lobster Season Easter morning on ScubaWork's DivOcean to the Jupiter Reefs. Looking at the inlet cams & 7 footers this morning, it's truly going to be a tough Easter Egg hunt.
WPB07FebBch.jpg

my freezer is in need of some lobster.. been dismal off the beach this season. When weather good, I couldn't go only made it worse (for me, not the lobsters! LOL).

The DOH has just this morning released a water quality health advisory for Phil Foster Park. But when I go to the DOH website, it shows that the bacterial testing was performed on March 25th (3 days ago). I am unclear as to how I'm supposed to interpret the delayed reporting of the test results.

The DOH has just this morning released a water quality health advisory for Phil Foster Park. But when I go to the DOH website, it shows that the bacterial testing was performed on March 25th (3 days ago). I am unclear as to how I'm supposed to interpret the delayed reporting of the test results.

That's always the issue with these advisories. One, they come several days AFTER the sample. Two, the sample is taken right at the edge of the beach and not where we actually dive. Some people ignore these, others pay attention to them. Everyone has to decide on their own risk tolerance.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom