Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. The park was not crowded. The water looked nice from the seawall. Visibility was 25ft and still a little bit hazy, but still much improved since Friday. Sea temp was 81f. Snorkeled the trail before doing the dive. Entered the water on the westside for the dive at 1100. Been a little distracted hunting for different species of tunicates and sponges lately. For the most part they go unnoticed or taken for granted as part of the back ground for most divers. There is quite a variety of both at BHB, but definitely more species can be found out on the reefs. Sponges are one of the simplest forms of animals. Tunicates are in phylum Chordata. Tunicates are the simplest form of animal with a notochord. Found one Lined Seahorse today, he looked like he was pregnant. Did a REEF fish count, 66 species in 75 minutes. Observed a pair of Dash Gobies tussling with each other, I don't know if was mating, or territorial dispute, or display for other Dash Gobies. Also observed a Hermit Crab that had a hold a dead fighting conch, I couldn't really tell if it was just excavating the dead conch so it could get the shell. or if it was eating it as well. There was a Bandtail Puffer nearby, definitely intent on trying to make a meal of the conch. Respectively, Spadefish, Orange Icing Sponge, Unknown Species of Tunicate, Yellow Social Encrusting Tunicate, Dash Goby Video, Leopard Searobin Video, and Conch, Hermit Crab Video.

11-28-22 Atlantic Spadefish.jpeg
11-28-22 Orange Icing Sponge.jpeg
11-28-22 Tunicates.jpeg
11-28-22 Yellow Social Encrusting Tunicate.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1030 for a 1238 high tide. The park was not crowded. Surface conditions were calm with little to no wind. Visibility was a hazy but blue 25-30ft. Sea temperature was 81f. Snorkeled the trail and did a REEF fish count, 50 species in 50 minutes. Entered the eastside at 1150. Spent time north of the bridge span, under the bridge span, and south of the bridge span for a total of 140 minutes. Four species of note today, Rusty Goby found in a pipe north of bridge span, Reef Scorpion found in debris under the bridge span, Kings Helmet in bottom substrate south of the span, and Loggerhead Sea Turtle on westside, west of the west lifeguard stand. I had finished rinsing my gear and changing and was about to leave when an FWC truck (not LEO, a civilian) pulls in and backs up into the paddleboard launching area. There were about eight people down at the waters edge waving her on. I decided to investigate the commotion. Apparently a sick Loggerhead Turtle had beached herself. With the help of onlookers the Sea Turtle rescue person from FWC was able to pick her up with a sheet and load her into the back of the truck. Poor thing looked to be in dire straights, to my nonexpert eye she didn't look like she was going to make it. However, the young women in charge of the rescue said she had seen far worse cases recover fully. Its interesting, while doing the rescue she has to do an impromptu turtle class for the concerned onlookers. I guess its just part of doing sea turtle rescues. Respectively Loggerhead Sea Turtle Rescue, Respectively Loggerhead Sea Turtle Rescue, Kings Helmet, Reef Scorpionfish, Rusty Goby, Crepidula Atrasolea, and Green Moray.

11-29-22 Loggerhead.jpg
11-29-22 Loggerhead1.jpg
11-29-22 Loggerhead2.jpg
11-29-22 Loggerhead3.jpg
11-29-22 Kings Helmet.jpeg
11-29-22 Kings Helmet1.jpeg
11-29-22 Reef Scorpion.jpeg
11-29-22 Rusty Goby1.jpeg
11-29-22 Crepidula atrasolea.jpeg
11-29-22 Green Moray.jpeg

...Apparently a sick Loggerhead Turtle had beached herself. View attachment 756078

When they are crusted up with barnacles that badly, they have been under the weather for a while. A few on the back is one thing. A reef back there indicates that they haven't bothered to scrape in a while. I'd estimate a month or more for this one. When barnacles show up on the head & the flexible skin areas, that's a really bad sign. Once health returns to something close to normal, a few day's soak in fresh water should remove all the barnacles. Healthy turtles generally tolerate fresh water for a few days. The barnacles do not. Last I checked, that was the preferred method, but I'm not really in the loop on turtle care, so my info may not be current, or even correct. Loggerhead Marine-life Center in Juno Beach is a great place to go if you want to learn about sea turtles. I'm guessing that's where FWC took this one. I should probably spend a little time up there.

That thing in the upper right corner that is colored like a candy cane, is something I (incorrectly) refer to as a sea spider. I think it's in the shrimp family, but I don't know it's correct name. Can you fill me in on that?

When they are crusted up with barnacles that badly, they have been under the weather for a while. A few on the back is one thing. A reef back there indicates that they haven't bothered to scrape in a while. I'd estimate a month or more for this one. When barnacles show up on the head & the flexible skin areas, that's a really bad sign. Once health returns to something close to normal, a few day's soak in fresh water should remove all the barnacles. Healthy turtles generally tolerate fresh water for a few days. The barnacles do not. Last I checked, that was the preferred method, but I'm not really in the loop on turtle care, so my info may not be current, or even correct. Loggerhead Marine-life Center in Juno Beach is a great place to go if you want to learn about sea turtles. I'm guessing that's where FWC took this one. I should probably spend a little time up there.

... or Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton. They not only have a nice turtle hospital as well, albeit smaller than Loggerhead's, but they also have four nice, large aquariums, a number of permanent turtles that cannot be released due to permanent disabilities, a mangrove boardwalk and butterfly garden. It's a hidden gem that not many people seem to know about!

@PBcatfish has all the details correct. She was being taken to Loggerhead Marine Life Center in Juno. The barnacles are a sign of ill health in a turtle, and yes they were going to soak her in fresh water to get rid of the barnacles. All details that were part of the impromptu sea turtle class by woman from FWC rescuing the turtle.

That thing in the upper right corner that is colored like a candy cane, is something I (incorrectly) refer to as a sea spider. I think it's in the shrimp family, but I don't know it's correct name. Can you fill me in on that?
The thing in the upper right hand corner is a Banded Coral Shrimp they are all over the place at BHB. There is also a similar species at BHB Yellowbanded Coral Shrimp, not as common as Banded Coral Shrimp.
Yellowbanded Coral Shrimp

BTW, there is a Blue Heron Bridge Project on Inaturalist.org, its a great reference for fish and critters that can be observed at BHB. Nearly 700 species have been identified there, impressive considering the project was only created 14 months ago. Blue Heron Bridge Project

E4F5E1B4-955C-44B3-A182-CB16DCF315DE.jpeg

BTW, there is a Blue Heron Bridge Project on Inaturalist.org,
I know Loggerhead Marine will tag turtles they release. Also many photogs on the reefs will take pictures of the tags and send it along with the location to them and it get's databased.
Did you notice any tags on this turtle? Thanks for the pictures and as always>>> the conditions reports!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom