Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's your first-time diving at BHB, I recommend paying for a dive guide or finding a local that will let you tag along (there's a good chance they won't end their dive early for you nor exit if you run into problems). I believe a few guides are active here in the forum or you can reach out to PV or FE for one.

If it's your first-time diving at BHB, I recommend paying for a dive guide or finding a local that will let you tag along (there's a good chance they won't end their dive early for you nor exit if you run into problems). I believe a few guides are active here in the forum or you can reach out to PV or FE for one.
ok. thanks. i'm checking the tide tables and it looks like I can get both morning and night dives over President's Day weekend. I spoke to Pura Vida briefly and they seem very cool. Thank you for the insight.

ok. thanks. i'm checking the tide tables and it looks like I can get both morning and night dives over President's Day weekend. I spoke to Pura Vida briefly and they seem very cool. Thank you for the insight.
PV does a guided group night dive. The group reminds me of a tornado of turkey divers, silting everywhere they go, and covering as much area as they can before the inexperienced divers start running out of air. But if you aren't familiar with the dive site, it's better than getting lost or seeing nothing because you don't know where to navigate to. You'll get a MUCH better experience slowing down with a dedicated guide who will take you to places they won't take groups to.

ok. more advice needed. The tide charts below show two high tides on those respective days. seeing as how this trip is probably going to cost me $1,000 I'd like to get at least two dives per day. Is that possible based on the below?
first high tide second high tide
02/18 Sat06:26 AM3.006:36 PM
02/19 Sun07:19 AM3.107:33 PM
02/20 Mon08:09 AM3.108:28 PM

Is that possible based on the below?
Even worse than you expected.....
You probably CAN'T dive any of those days, because the BHB beach is closed from official sunset to sunrise hours. with getting in the water about an hour before & after High tide, you will outside of the closed park hours on each of the days you have listed.

Usually the only 'seasons' you can double dip at BHB is at the peak of summer ~June.

ugh. off to mexico.... again. I did the math and even if i could do three dives, one each day, it would end up being around $600 per dive. for that, the seahorses would have to do a little choreographed dance for me a la disney.

Ok. I need some help from the BHB Trolls.

I have a flight credit from American I need to use by end of Feb. I'm thinking of spending 2 or three days at BHB to see all the splendid wonders of which you collectively speak.

Is there anywhere to stay close by and less than $75 per night from where I can walk to the bridge? I was there last month with the Dolphin Dream and when I walked over the Bridge, everything seems like rich people land. All I do is dive and sleep so not looking for a resort or whatever. I'll even stay in crew quarters if they are close and cheap enough. Anybody got a couch?

Will one of the local dive operators let me take tanks, dive flag and weights on my own to the beach or do I have to go with one of their DM's / instructors? What are the logistics of diving at BHB if I'm solo and completely clueless?

This is coming together. Thank you, everyone.
I keep reading online that the time to dive is during slack tide. Does that mean that that is the only time you can dive under the bridge?
I just can't see spending the money for one dive per day.

Guess since you decided on Mexico, I won't answer..
nahh.. others are reading.. my 2 cents

Yes, the local shops you can rent everything you need. A private guide is the way to go, maybe for the first dive, then since you are a DM, and I am assuming enough experience, going solo is fine. A decent guide will offer you local knowledge for those dives.

Agree, get a car and stay a little further away. Theoriticlly, you can do the early and evening dives, and in between do a beach dive.

@Johnoly I've never had a problem diving before sunrise. It's a bit sketchy with all the homeless though. I've done more than one dive that was not a scheduled night dive where I exited the water long after dark.

Maybe if I could just sleep under the bridge..

Well.. there is that..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom