Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, the vis looks MUCH improved! Thanks for the updates @Pipehorse.

I'm sure that if you tested the water at different times of based on the tide, you'd get different water quality results. For example, I'd assume low tide is worse than high tide. I'd like to know when they took the sample. Or does it not matter?

Some folks don't seem to care about the swim advisories. I'm not one of them. I'd rather not knowingly immerse myself in crap LOL. My personal guidelines is if there is a no swim advisory for a beach, I'm not in the water. Not for swimming, snorkeling or diving. Everyone has to make that personal decision for themselves. Personally, I'd rather not risk an infection. There are plenty of times to dive when there is no health advisory.

Yesterday the visibility looked really good at high tide about a mile south of the bridge, but I didn't have time to hop in. Today, 2 hours before high tide, the water was greenish & slightly cloudy with a solid 35 feet of viability. I would expect that high tide was probably better, but once again, I didn't have time to hang around & find out. I did what I had to do & then got going.

Down where I was, we didn't have the pretty fish to look at, just a bunch of catfish, a few small blue crabs, some schools of small fry, a 6" puffer, something that looked like half a dozen pieces of 6" long white thread that pulled back into a hole when I got close, a below-slot soap fish (snook), several juvenile needle fish, a big cuda, & one comb jelly, the size of a golf ball. When I got out of the water, I had a minor case of the diving not-at-high-tide in the ICW itch, but it was just a mild itch & not the burn that it can be when the fertilizer laden run-off from the cane fields is heavy.

If I had time to go to BHB today, I would have. It will be interesting to see if the better visibility holds over the weekend & into next week.

... I'd like to know when they took the sample. Or does it not matter?
The difference is like night & day.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0800 for an 1106 high tide. Park was not crowded when I arrived, but did fill up more than earlier in the week by mid morning. Apparently the swim advisory has been lifted because the signs were no longer posted. Snorkeled the trail before diving. Visibility was not as good as yesterday but still at least 30 feet, water at 81f, water was 75%blue 25%green, with some fine particulate, overall very nice for snorkeling or diving. Did a REEF fish count while snorkeling, 53 species in 50 minutes. Entered the water on the eastside at 0955. The current was ripping through the east span, so much so, that I didn't see another diver the whole time I was underneath there. Did a REEF fish count of 63 species in 70 minutes. Exited the eastside, walked across the parking lot and entered the westside at 1125. Did another REEF fish count on the westside 60 species in 70 minutes. Found a tiny well camouflaged seahorse, but the image is not very good because I refuse to roust a tiny animal just so I can get a good shot. The surprise identification today was Seminole Gobies. I believe I have only seen them once before at BHB. Their behavior is similar to Banner Gobies, they have small burrows in the sand that they quickly dart into when closely approached. Not to be confused with Orangespot Gobies, Dash Gobies, and Spottial Gobies that use a burrow shared with shrimp, Banner Gobies and Seminole Gobies do not do commensalism with shrimp, they keep the burrows to themselves. Banner Gobies are common at BHB, but they prefer the more silt like mud found on the snorkel trail as opposed to Seminole Gobies that prefer a more sandy substrate. So I thought it was cool when I found a pair in sandy substrate on the north eastside. What really surprised me is when I found another Seminole Goby when I did the westside. Respectively, Caribbean Barred Hamlet, Find the Seahorse, Midnight Parrot, Plumed Scorpion, Seahorse Found, Seminole Goby, and Banner Goby (not taken today, here for comparison to Seminole Goby).

10-28-22 Caribbean Barred Hamlet.jpeg
10-28-22 Find the Seahorse.jpeg
10-28-22 Midnight Parrot.jpeg
10-28-22 Plumed Scorpion.jpeg
10-28-22 Seahorse Found.jpeg
10-28-22 Seminole Goby.jpeg
07-17-22 Banner Goby.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0810 for a 1017 high tide. The park was mostly empty. The advisory due to high bacteria count from 10/24 was still in effect according to a sign near the lifeguard stand. The lifeguard that usually arrives early to do a swim before going on duty, was doing just that, swimming back and forth in front of the beach (shows you what he thinks of the no swim advisory). From the seawall the water looked beautiful. Entered the water just east of the east lifeguard stand to snorkel trail at 0825. Visibility was 40ft, sea temp was 81f, and water color was 90% blue and 10% green, there was small amount of particulate in the water. Moon Jellyfish were absent for the most part, but there were many Comb Jellyfish throughout the water column. Did a REEF fish count of 50 species in 50 minutes on the snorkel trail. Exited on the westside, got my scuba on and returned to the water on the westside. Did another REEF fish count of 53 species in 65 minutes. Count was a little low for that amount of time because I spent the majority of the dive out in the algae patches looking for smaller subjects. Despite looking for smaller subjects I kept checking the water column frequently hoping for a Manta Ray, no luck, but I did observe a smaller Spotted Eagle Ray. Observed a few seahorses. a Spotfin Jawfish, a Juvenile Sea Robin (species yet to be determined), and a dozen smaller squid of a species that I could not determine because they took off rapidly when I approached, they were not Caribbean Reef Squid the species most commonly seen at BHB. The outstanding find of the day was a pair of Orange Filefish. A somewhat uncommon species at BHB and the ocean, they rarely allow a close approach but this pair seemed more concerned with hunting in the sand then my presence, so I guess it made up for the squid. IMHO once they issue a no swim advisory the water should be checked on the turn of every single tide, until the water is clean enough to the lift said advisory. Not retesting constantly is ridiculous given the size of the tidal prism of the waters surrounding Phil Foster Park. Respectively, Before snorkeling, Inshore Lizardfish, Juvenile Sea Robin, Lined Seahorse, Orange Filefish, Orange Filefish, Seahorse, Spotfin Jawfish, Juvenile Searobin video, and Orange Filefish video. And yes, definitely going diving at the bridge tomorrow.

View attachment 750537View attachment 750538View attachment 750539View attachment 750540View attachment 750541View attachment 750542View attachment 750543View attachment 750544

Nice. I miss the bridge. Seems like every weekend (PBC) the water has been rough or viz bad. Flat water when I am working. Not a great summer/fall for me.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0815 for a 1158 high tide. The park was not crowded when I arrived, at 0900, it was the same and started to fill up at 1000. Plenty of parking to be had throughout the time I was there. Entered the water at 0900 east of the east lifeguard stand to snorkel the trail prior to diving. I was immediately disappointed with the visibility, much diminished since yesterday, 10-15 with lots of particulate, sea temp at least cooperated at 81f, water color was 50/50 blue green. Did a REEF fish count on the snorkel trail, 32 species in 50 minutes, compared to 53 species in 50 minutes the day before. Exited on the westside, put scuba on and entered the westside at 1010. Did a REEF fish count 53 species in 65 minutes. Current was strong so I worked my way west by staying in the lee of the bridge stanchions. Saw a few divers on the last wall stanchion next to the channel, but otherwise was not in the presence of other divers. Found a Pugjaw Wormfish, a small Bumblebee Shrimp on a Cushion Star, and another Seminole Goby. I had planned on diving both days this weekend, given the visibility today, I might skip tomorrow. Respectively, Bumblebee Shrimp, Closeup Sand Diver, Spadefish in the Haze and a Spotted Moray located in a crack of last bridge stanchion that is always good for a few shots.
10-29-22 Bumblebee Shrimp.jpeg
10-29-22 Closeup Sand Diver.jpeg
10-29-22 Spadefish in the Haze.jpeg
10-29-22 Spotted Moray.jpeg

I hit the bridge this afternoon. No swim advisory and the parking lot was almost full. Was in the water at 11:50. Did a 90 minute dive. 5-10 feet of viz. Lots of “snot” in the water column. Mostly green water. It was nice to get under water but nothing notable to share today. It was a good day to practice some pure compass navigation!

Wow, the vis looks MUCH improved! Thanks for the updates @Pipehorse.

I'm sure that if you tested the water at different times of based on the tide, you'd get different water quality results. For example, I'd assume low tide is worse than high tide. I'd like to know when they took the sample. Or does it not matter?
A few years ago there was a swim advisory at BHB for a while. Come to find out they were taking the samples at low tide just off shore in a few inches of water. Mighty PO'd divers when that info came to light.
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0800 for an 1106 high tide. Park was not crowded when I arrived, but did fill up more than earlier in the week by mid morning. Apparently the swim advisory has been lifted because the signs were no longer posted. Snorkeled the trail before diving. Visibility was not as good as yesterday but still at least 30 feet, water at 81f, water was 75%blue 25%green, with some fine particulate, overall very nice for snorkeling or diving. Did a REEF fish count while snorkeling, 53 species in 50 minutes. Entered the water on the eastside at 0955. The current was ripping through the east span, so much so, that I didn't see another diver the whole time I was underneath there. Did a REEF fish count of 63 species in 70 minutes. Exited the eastside, walked across the parking lot and entered the westside at 1125. Did another REEF fish count on the westside 60 species in 70 minutes. Found a tiny well camouflaged seahorse, but the image is not very good because I refuse to roust a tiny animal just so I can get a good shot. The surprise identification today was Seminole Gobies. I believe I have only seen them once before at BHB. Their behavior is similar to Banner Gobies, they have small burrows in the sand that they quickly dart into when closely approached. Not to be confused with Orangespot Gobies, Dash Gobies, and Spottial Gobies that use a burrow shared with shrimp, Banner Gobies and Seminole Gobies do not do commensalism with shrimp, they keep the burrows to themselves. Banner Gobies are common at BHB, but they prefer the more silt like mud found on the snorkel trail as opposed to Seminole Gobies that prefer a more sandy substrate. So I thought it was cool when I found a pair in sandy substrate on the north eastside. What really surprised me is when I found another Seminole Goby when I did the westside. Respectively, Caribbean Barred Hamlet, Find the Seahorse, Midnight Parrot, Plumed Scorpion, Seahorse Found, Seminole Goby, and Banner Goby (not taken today, here for comparison to Seminole Goby).

View attachment 750790View attachment 750791View attachment 750792View attachment 750793View attachment 750794View attachment 750795View attachment 750796
Interesting on the seminole gobys.. I see them in Hollywood, often near the sailfin blennys.

Went to the bridge today, but only snorkeled did not dive. Arrived at 1240 for a 1405 high tide. The park was not crowded. Visibility was >10ft but <20ft, temp was 80f, with water at 80% green and 20% blue, with large amounts of particulate. For sure it was a jellyfish day. I find jellyfish fascinating, notwithstanding their ability to cause mild itching to severely painful stings. Present today were at least 8 different species. Many Moon Jellyfish, 12 Atlantic Sea Nettles, 1 Pink Meanie (I think), countless Comb Jellies of at least four different species, as well as a few species of Hydro Medusa. The most interesting observation was a pair of the Atlantic Sea entangled by the tentacles with a Pink Meanie. Respectively, Atlantic Sea Nettle, Atlantic Sea Nettle, Atlantic Sea Nettle, Atlantic Sea Nettle, Harvestfish, Pink Meanie and Atlantic Sea Nettle Entangled, Pink Meanie and Atlantic Sea Nettle Engtangled, Atlantic Sea Nettle, Atlantic Sea Nettle Video, and Atlantic Sea Nettle Video

10-31-22  Atlantic Sea Nettle.jpeg
10-31-22 Atlantic Sea Nettle 5.jpeg
10-31-22 Atlantic Sea Nettle1.jpeg
10-31-22 Atlantic Sea Nettle4.jpeg
10-31-22 Harvestfish.jpeg
10-31-22 Jellyfish Engtanglement.jpeg
10-31-22 Jellyfish Jellyfish.jpeg
Atlantic Sea Nettle2.jpeg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom