Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the bridge now, visibility passed the go/no go test, i.e. standing on the sea wall I can see the bottom, park is empty.

Adding more images to this post at 1545, will do a write up on new species of fish observed at the bridge in a little while (2 species not observed at the bridge until today).

@PBcatfish I did not see a green hulled sailboat. Only the barge and the picture below of the another sunken boat just south of the channel. However I did not check the northside so maybe the sailboat you are asking about is over there?

I found the anchor in one of the piles of rocks on the snorkel trail directly south of where the barge is currently resting, most likely one the anchors that was holding the barge? Though why something that large would not have a proper mooring pin is beyond me. Respectively Barge facing west, Barge facing east, sunken boat, large anchor, Barge from water facing north, Go/No go test (if I can see the bottom it is a Go)

0EB66DDC-6CE6-45E4-B7EB-7F74808D9CF8.jpeg
09-30-22 Bridge1.jpg
09-30-22 Bridge2.jpg
09-30-22 Bridge3.jpeg
09-30-22 Bridge4.jpeg
09-30-22 Go-nogo.jpg

At the bridge now, visibility passed the go/no go test, i.e. standing on the sea wall I can see the bottom, park is empty.

View attachment 746192
Is that the art gallery barge that washed ashore?

I was told that some boats that had broken free of anchorages had been brought to the park during the storm. Do you see other boats tied up there? If so, is one of them a dark green 34' sailboat?

Vis is surprisingly clear. Wow! Awaiting your report..

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1000 for a 1204 high tide. The park was empty. As per the post above the two story party barge broke loose from its spot south of the channel, ending up on the beach in front of the west lifeguard stand. Checked the water at the sea wall and could see the bottom, in my book that is a go for diving. Snorkeled the trail first, and found a very large anchor snagged into one of the rock piles on the snorkel trail. Just before exiting on the westside observed a bunch of fish rarely or never observed at BHB (according to REEF database). Went back to the truck and put my dive gear on, entering the westside at 1131. Visibility was 15 feet, sea temp was 76f, a 10 degree difference from Friday, didn't have my hood, and I was cold in my 3mm, if I had known would have worn a 5mm. Right there in the shallow after entering observed a Juvenile Black Drum, according to REEF database not recorded at BHB before, and only recorded in the tropical western Atlantic 27 times out 182,000 surveys. Also observed several Atlantic Croakers, according to REEF database not recorded at BHB before, and only recorded in the tropical western Atlantic 9 times out of 182,000 surveys. Also observed Lookdowns, Irish Pompano, and Permit common in the TWA but not often seen at BHB. Did a REEF fish count 74 species in 70 minutes. I think if somebody was to got snorkeling or diving further north from the bridge like Little Munyon Island and the mangroves in the vicinity the Atlantic Croakers and Black Drums would be common up there. I think but species generally hangout in low visibility water and have just been somewhat displaced by the hurricane. Images of the fish are captures from videos, considering the visibility it was easier to shoot video than try to shoot still images. Respectively, Atlantic Croaker, Black Drum, Permit, Spotted Moray getting a cleaning from Pedersen Cleaning Shrimp, Irish Pompano Video, Permit Video, Juvenile Black Drum Video, and Atlantic Croaker with Irish Pompano Video.

09-30-22 Atlantic Croaker (2).jpg
09-30-22 Black Drum (2).jpg
09-30-22 Permit.jpg
09-30-22 Spotted Moray.jpeg

The big moon jellyfish are back, lots of them
Water temperature is back up from a chilly after-storm 74 to a more seasonable 82F

Viz report?

Viz report?
I wasn't at the bridge yesterday. I was about a mile away. Vis was about 8 feet. Vis was likely better at the bridge.

Good to know. Looking forward to Saturday

Anyone dive the BHB in the past day or 2? Viz was good or not?
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom