Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I will be diving in Key Largo, Aug 25th thru the 29th. Tides are favorable, so we're making the drive up to do a night dive at the BHB next Friday night for the Force-E sponsored night dive. We're hiring a guide because we've never dove it and want to make sure we're with someone who knows what they're doing for the best chance to see "stuff", but any advice here?
Yes. Have the guide take you thru the west side. It is the best part of the bridge and seldom visit by newcomers. The scuba trail you can do yourself and don’t need a guide for that.

My wife and I will be diving in Key Largo, Aug 25th thru the 29th. Tides are favorable, so we're making the drive up to do a night dive at the BHB next Friday night for the Force-E sponsored night dive. We're hiring a guide because we've never dove it and want to make sure we're with someone who knows what they're doing for the best chance to see "stuff", but any advice here?
Get there early the parking will fill up quickly!

If you park near the playground, you may be able to use the picnic table next to the playground to get set up -- would probably be a little easier than having 2 people trying to gear up from your car.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1140 for a 1420 hightide. The park was not crowded when I arrived. Snorkeled the trail prior to diving did a REEF fish count 49 species in 45 minutes. Entered the eastside at 1250, current was strong underneath the bridge, nevertheless I surveyed under the bridge and north of bridge (but well south of the boat ramps). Visibility was 50ft and sea temp was 86f. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in 75 minutes.

When doing Blue Heron Bridge, I always stay very close to the bottom, within 2-3 feet specifically because I have no faith in boaters doing what they are supposed to do, i.e. remaining 300ft away from flags. At one point during the dive yesterday a boat pass almost on top of me, heading south underneath the bridge. The boat passed within 10 feet of my flag, thing is at the time I believe I was the only diver to the north, so only one flag to avoid (or not avoid as the case might be), given the position of my flag it should have precluded the boaters approach to the east span at all. Given that I have a strategy to stay safe regardless of errant boaters, I found the incident yesterday disturbing for the safety of all the other divers and snorkelers that would be located on the south east side of the bridge. When that boat came out from the southside of the bridge there would be enough flags there (each theoretically with a 300ft radius) to preclude any boat from operating anywhere other than the channel. As an aside the east span bridge is not considered a navigation channel (if was it would be marked so, and it is not), so while its okay for boats to come within 300feet of the snorkel trail or the westside because they are in a navigable inlet, they are not entitled to come within 300ft of flags on the east span bridge because they feel like it. I don't know what the deal was yesterday, the person on the boat had no idea of local conditions, or just didn't care, either way, word to the wise, diving the bridge is not always as benign or safe as it might seem.

Respectively Lionfish, Night Sergeant, Squid Video, Moon Jellyfish Video, and Fish School Video

08-18-22 Lionfish.jpeg
08-18-22 Night Sergeant.jpeg

When doing Blue Heron Bridge, I always stay very close to the bottom, within 2-3 feet specifically because I have no faith in boaters doing what they are supposed to do, i.e. remaining 300ft away from flags. At one point during the dive yesterday a boat pass almost on top of me, heading south underneath the bridge. The boat passed within 10 feet of my flag, thing is at the time I believe I was the only diver to the north, so only one flag to avoid (or not avoid as the case might be), given the position of my flag it should have precluded the boaters approach to the east span at all. Given that I have a strategy to stay safe regardless of errant boaters, I found the incident yesterday disturbing for the safety of all the other divers and snorkelers that would be located on the south east side of the bridge. When that boat came out from the southside of the bridge there would be enough flags there (each theoretically with a 300ft radius) to preclude any boat from operating anywhere other than the channel. As an aside the east span bridge is not considered a navigation channel (if was it would be marked so, and it is not), so while its okay for boats to come within 300feet of the snorkel trail or the westside because they are in a navigable inlet, they are not entitled to come within 300ft of flags on the east span bridge because they feel like it. ...
Unfortunately, the rules don't say that boats need to stay away from dive flags. They just need to go slow when they are near the flags.

From the above link -

"Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway."

Unfortunately, the rules don't say that boats need to stay away from dive flags. They just need to go slow when they are near the flags.

From the above link -

"Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway."
Also from the above link.
(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of the divers-down flag on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down flag.

The part you are referring to is (6), seems to be a little in conflict with (5). I guess it all hinges on what is a "reasonable effort" given there are many divers with many flags, approaching at all IMHO is not a reasonable effort. Sorry, that boater from the other day was not making a reasonable effort to stay 300 feet away from me, or all the other flags on the south east side.

Also my flag was in the middle of the east span on the north side no further than 10 feet from the span, not underneath. Given that the east span is 320 feet long, and my flag was in the middle that is a distance of 160 feet on either side, not a reasonable effort at 300 feet by the driver of the boat.

Also my flag was in the middle of the east span on the north side no further than 10 feet from the span, not underneath. Given that the east span is 320 feet long, and my flag was in the middle that is a distance of 160 feet on either side, not a reasonable effort at 300 feet by the driver of the boat.
Portions of the south side of the little bridge to the east are now marked to keep boats away. The easternmost part is not. That part is navigable. The north side of the little bridge to the east is right by the boat ramps & lots of boats can be expected there. If you are talking about the big bridge, then it's a different story.

Thank you for the clarification of the rules details that I failed to post.

Portions of the south side of the little bridge to the east are now marked to keep boats away. The easternmost part is not. That part is navigable. The north side of the little bridge to the east is right by the boat ramps & lots of boats can be expected there. If you are talking about the big bridge, then it's a different story. Thank you for the clarification of the rules details that I failed to post,
I understand what your saying, however, if an area is filled with dive flags, IMHO then no approach to the area is reasonable. Not sure if this is a good analogy, but imagine people in a crosswalk but they are crossing against the light, that doesn't give drivers the right to ignore them and run over them. I see this on the westside on the section south of the big bridge, and either north or east of the channel. Occasionally boats come in there when there are a bunch of dive flags scattered about, any boat leaving the channel entering that area while dive flags are about, is not making a reasonable effort to avoid dive flags by 100 feet never mind 300ft. Many of them are divers which makes it even worse. They just don't care, if you are in their way to bad. I understand people wanting to use a boat at BHB for night dives, or when the ocean has five foot swells, but why dive there on a boat when the ocean is nice? One of the major attractions of BHB is you don't need a boat to dive it.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 0730 for a 0737 high tide. The park was fairly empty, i.e. plenty of the southern facing parking spaces were not filled. Entered the water on the west side at 0800. Though the tide had already turned looking directly south towards the snorkel trail visibility was 50 feet. Heading around the corner though visibility was at about 35 feet because of the change in tide. Sea temp was a somewhat bathtub water 87f. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in 70 minutes. For sure the standout of the dive was a group of six Caribbean Reef Squid. I try not to anthropomorphize when describing animals, but for lack of elegance or articulation on my part, it seemed like these squid were doing a little performance for my benefit. I most of spent 20 minutes taking short 30 second to 1 minute video clips of the performance. Respectively, Bridled Goby, Hogfish, Sergeant Majors, Scrawled Filefish Hanging Vertically in the water column, Caribbean Reef Squid do "Simon Says", Caribbean Reef Squid Perform Synchronized Swimming, Caribbean Reef Squid Play a Shell Game, and Caribbean Reef Squid Close Up.

08-25-22 Bridled Goby.jpeg
08-25-22 Hogfish.jpeg
08-25-22 Sergeant Majors.jpeg

08-25-22 Scrawled Filefish.jpeg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom