Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive Permit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking about going to BHB tonight for a night dive, but was just made aware that I need a permit. I've dove there dozens of times during the day and I've gone on one of Force-E's things, but never knew a permit was required for night dives. Force-E doesn't have an organized dive tonight. Can I just call and get one the same day or is there a ridiculous amount of bureaucracy I need to deal with?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pura Vida has a permit for tonight. Stop by that shop before 6pm to check in.

I don't think you can get an individual permit. At least I have never heard of it. You have to be out of the park by 10:00 pm in any case, which means finishing your dive by 9:30 or so, so that limits the "night-diveable" days to about four days per month because of the timing of the high tides. Pura Vida and Force E usually have those days covered and they don't even charge you for signing up under their permit!

If you want to dive later than 10 pm, which you need to have a boat.

or is there a ridiculous amount of bureaucracy I need to deal with?

Short answer: Yes. A ridiculous amount of bureaucracy.

Long(er) answer: Guy is right - you must be out of the park by 10pm, permit or not. In order to dive at night, you must also have a DM on shore to check divers in & out (ostensibly) and carry liability insurance. At least that was the deal a few years ago when I looked into it for my dive club. I was told by the park district that otherwise cars could be ticketed and/or towed.

We found it much easier to just piggyback onto the dive shops that already sponsor regular night dives. Most of the good night tide times are already sponsored night dives. Check the Events Page on Pura Vida, Force E and the one up in Jensen Beach (Deep Six?) FB pages. They post their night dive schedule at least a month or two in advance.

The only other option is a boat dive. Then none of above park rules apply. Pura Vida and Little Deeper will take you out but you need a minimum number of divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom