Blue Grotto or Devils Den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rappy78

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Me and my buddy are thinking of going to Blue Grotto or Devils Den next weekend and are really unsure which one is the better choice. We havnt been to any privatly owned sites like these yet but I have heard good thoughts of both locations. Which one is worth our time? Preferably which one has more stuff to look at like fish?Or i hear there are fossils. Which one is worth 2 tanks also would like to make a day out of it. Just want some oppinions before driving all the way up there.
thanx

-steve-

Neither have much to look at. One tank or less at both and youwill probably be board. Devils is a great to do one timer as it is 60 feet under ground and you can go off into the fingers into air pockets. the grotto is kool to do the air bell thing.

go up to Alexander for a $5 dive I have dove it many times. During the week when the river is low try Troy. on the weekends since it has opened the park is too croweded with swimmer.

I live near Vortes, Morrison and Cypress. www.vortexspring.com

Blue Grotto is much better. Deeper, and bigger. I dont know if either are worth two dives, but I was kind of bored with Devils Den.

I had much more fun at devils den - the whole ow cavern environment was pretty awesome i thought

blue grotto was pretty cool for one dive, but you wouldnt see much new on a second dive

These are two nice but simple dives. I know veteran divers who love to go there so they can chill out, play with fish, and just sorta be UW where its quiet. I know novice divers who get bored after 10 minutes. Personally, I enjoy both sites, but I can dive in a mudpuddle, find something to do there, and enjoy it.

Both sites have a very cool natural history. Both are sinks, and the walls have fossils. Both have very clear water (71 degrees year round). Both have ample picnic areas to enjoy the day, lay out your gear, have lunch, and do another dive. Devil's Den probably has more nooks and holes to explore, but Blue Grotto has a bit more depth and a circuit that let's you see how caves are structured. Both have fresh water fish who are curious, and if you're the type of person who can spend a half hour getting to know a family of crappie, or studying the whiskers on a catfish, you'll enjoy either place. (BTW, have you ever actually studied the whiskers on a catfish?) If you prefer Disney & MTV, you might not like these sites.

Let us know how the dives went. Its neat to read dive reports.

Blue Grotto is a half tank wonder, it goes down to about 80ft or so, dont leave the line, its nasty silt off the side and we dont want to see anyone brought out due to stirring it up :wink: The rest of the area is great for training as its large, but there is nothing to do except swim around.

My vote is for Devils Den, you can spend almost a tank going around the bowl, then another doing it in the opposite direction. The viz might suck sometimes, but the UW cavern/cave like formations, swimthrus and such are a nice play area! It is also used for instruction, but there isnt as much open space in there.

You can also try Paradise Springs, same price, about 30 mins away or one of the state parks (Manatee is probably closest) of Ginnie arent far off either.

I say hit Ginnie Springs if you can. The diving is better and there is a lot more to do on the surface. There is actually a river that you can swim, canoe, or tub down.

I have never done Devils Den, but I have done Blue Grotto. Speaking for myself only, I found it rather boring after the first 30 minutes. Although, the bell at 30 feet is kind of neat.

There is one option that has not been mentioned yet. The two springs are only separated by about 1 mile of paved road, and you could spend the morning at Blue Grotto, and depth goes to 100 feet, then perform your shallower dives at Devil's Den. You can use the pack-up, travel, and prep time between the two sites to off-gas and get lunch at the McDonalds in Williston, or pick up some deli sandwiches from the grocery store. You shold be able to do both sites in one day, possibly making one dive at the Grotto, and two at Devil's Den. The only draw back to that is having to pay for both sites, but you can get three or four dives in for about the same cost of going out for a two-tank trip on a dive charter.

Note, it is requested you present an AOW card to go beyone 60 fsw at Blue Grotto.

http://www.divebluegrotto.com/
http://www.devilsden.com/

Talon:
I say hit Ginnie Springs if you can. The diving is better and there is a lot more to do on the surface. There is actually a river that you can swim, canoe, or tub

You can drift dive the Sante Fe also during the summer months when the viz is better.

I have been to neither blue grotto nor devil's den. My buddy told me he would like to go back to blue grotto during the week when OW classes aren't filling it up. He said it was like playing scuba diver pinball at blue grotto due to the amount of divers in the water two weekends ago.

Matt

Firebrand:
Blue Grotto, and depth goes to 100 feet
I wouldnt recommend going any deeper than 85ft as that is the max depth of the main line - unless you want to stir up the silt and get yourself in all sorts of trouble :wink: It does go to around 100ft, but its a way off the line, under a ledge in a smallish room with a heavy silt floor - i looked at it and thought better not to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom