Blown Out of Molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

odblnt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from a short trip over to Maui (sister-in-law had some miles to use so got us all tickets) and had set up a dive trip for last Thursday with B&B based on the recommendations here on the board.

To begin with, we only had three full days on the island, so Wednesday was reserved for going "upcountry" around Paia and Makawao. We were thinking of going up to the summit of Haleakala, but decided not to.

Thursday (diving day) dawned with a stiff breeze. When we got to the boat, we were told that the day before they had 6 - 8 foot seas at Molokini and this day looked even worse. So... I have yet to dive Molokini. We ended up going to 5 Graves and then off Wailea Point. We saw one boat attempt to go out to Molokini, but it turned around and came right back to where we were diving. We were the first boat out of the South Kihei Boat Ramp, so we were first in the dive sites. I heard later that a 50' dive boat out of Ma'alea Harbor attempted to come out, but the seas were too rough and they had to go back in. The big catamarans out of that harbor made it down to where we were, but I bet it wasn't a fun ride.

While I do regret not making it out to Molokini, I can not fault the crew for making their decision. It was the right call. That just means that I have something to look forward to next trip. Capt Rae, Doug, Dave & Stan were great. I would book with them again in a heartbeat.

The sea life was plentiful. We found a nice resting white-tip, a shy lobster (aren't they all), and saw a ray in the distance. There were also plenty of morays just looking at us.

Just as an extra comment, there were a number of shops on the bottom floor of the condo complex we were staying in and I wandered in to check out Maui Dreams Dive Co. I had a good feeling talking with them, so I'll keep them in mind when we go back. Maybe do a night dive with them.

We made it back to Oahu on Friday night with no problems, and I'm eagerly looking forward to my next trip over there.

Pete

Old Dog Busy Learning New Tricks

P.S. - Friday was a beautiful day. All the boats made it out to Molokini. Ain't that always the way it works?

Too bad about the wind; I have heard from the boss of the Molokini boat I used to work for that the past year or so has been a "little" windier than the past decade or so.

It may just be the direction of the wind, as West Maui's Lanai operators have not been saying it is windier. :idk:

Bummer about not diving Molokini, but at least you weren't blown completely out of the water and got to dive some nice sites! You'll simply have to return to Maui soon. :wink:

Bummer about not diving Molokini, but at least you weren't blown completely out of the water and got to dive some nice sites! You'll simply have to return to Maui soon. :wink:

That's what I figure.

Sounds like my luck with the weather as well. Been to Maui 3x and only made it to Molokini once and that was questionable. The shore dives can be fabulous though. Can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks. I pray that the weather gods are with me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom