Blowing Up Photo to Wall Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a pic I want to blast up to wall size. It was shot with my 5 meg e20, and after running thru NeatImage is about a 14 meg TIF file. The image is clean and will be nive in large format.

Is there any kind of additional processing, or program that makes it wall friendly? I've seen the processing they do to get photos into billboards. I believe I've read about a process, or a plug-in or something that will facilitate blowing up digital images to rediculous sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Ken

Mo2vation:
I have a pic I want to blast up to wall size. It was shot with my 5 meg e20, and after running thru NeatImage is about a 14 meg TIF file. The image is clean and will be nive in large format.

Is there any kind of additional processing, or program that makes it wall friendly? I've seen the processing they do to get photos into billboards. I believe I've read about a process, or a plug-in or something that will facilitate blowing up digital images to rediculous sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Ken

Ken yes there is more processing that needs to be done on that image to get it to a wall size (how big are you wanting to go)

well i have to leave school, but as soon as i get home i will finish the reply

will get back top you in about 30 minutes

Scubatooth

Scubatooth:
Ken yes there is more processing that needs to be done on that image to get it to a wall size (how big are you wanting to go)

well i have to leave school, but as soon as i get home i will finish the reply. I will get back top you in about 30 minutes

Scubatooth

Maybe 6' by 4' or so...

ok a 4 foot by 6 foot poster 48" x 72" which at printDPI (of 300) is going to be 14400 x 21600 pixels this is if its goingto be at print quality but how far away are you going to be viewing this image because if its more then a couple of feet that DPI rate can be lowered some but not much.

rough estimate this is goingto be a 600+ mb Tiff(probably closer to a gig)

well thats going to be a massive undertaking as this is a massive image. the normal software that i would reccomend is either Qimage or Genuine Fractals which can interpolate (enlarge) an image roughly up to 8x so this is running close to the edge of that, but its worth a shot.

the softwares mentioned are both good and and can be used in photoshop or standalone.

I checked with my instructor who works for a advertising agency in dallas, and she says that is going to really not look that well if done digitally. you could try contacting a company that will take a digital file and turn it into a slide, which then you can have it printed on that. the other one you might do is contact the palce that does this type of service and see if they know anybody that can do this type of enlargement.

another suggestion is go to www.dpreview.com and go to the printers and printing forum and ask them there advice.

i take that the orginal image is a 5 megapixel (2560x1920) with very little compression or saved in Tiff format also what is this going to be used for.

i hope this helps i will do some digging into this to see what i can find.

Dan
aka
scubatooth

Hi Ken-
If the traditional photo printing option does not seem feasible, another option is to print your photo on fabric and make a large quilted wall hanging. If your inkjet printer has a poster-printing function, it can automatically divide your photo and then print them on a number of sheets. These sheets are then sewn back together to recreate the original image. A fabric photo will not have the clarity of something printed on photo paper, but it is a unique way to create a large piece of art. My wife did something similar with some rafting pictures we had. You can check it out on her website at www.quiltpics.com.

- Randy

frenzydiver:
Hi Ken-
If the traditional photo printing option does not seem feasible, another option is to print your photo on fabric and make a large quilted wall hanging. If your inkjet printer has a poster-printing function, it can automatically divide your photo and then print them on a number of sheets. These sheets are then sewn back together to recreate the original image. A fabric photo will not have the clarity of something printed on photo paper, but it is a unique way to create a large piece of art. My wife did something similar with some rafting pictures we had. You can check it out on her website at www.quiltpics.com.

- Randy

Randy

im aware that most of the photo printers have this option but it is a option that i would never use because it would degrade the image quality. it degrade the image by slicing it into chunks and interpolating it the way the printer sees fit which may cause the print to look bad or pixelated, while this type of proceedure maybe fine for some but for me i would do it, as every thing i print and goes into the public i want to be top notch and able to be critqued under a loupe.

tooth

Randy...this would be a great method for wearable art where the fine details of a photo aren't expected. For a large photo, being cut up into 8x11 pieces just won't work.

Mo2ivation

if your still watching this if you will please send me a thumbnail of the image so i can take a look and see what i can get done on it (images size of 800x600) then i will be able to tell you how far the interpolation will go

tooth

Dee:
Randy...this would be a great method for wearable art where the fine details of a photo aren't expected. For a large photo, being cut up into 8x11 pieces just won't work.

Dee-
I agree that it will not give the fine details of photo. However, printing it on fabric instead of paper is much more forgiving, in that the final quilted wall hanging is not expected to be a detailed photo. You can even add a watercolor effect to give it the look of a painted picture on canvas or use several photos together. Again, its no substitute, but if you have an inkjet printer and can sew (or are luckily to have a spouse that does :>), it is possible to make a truly original wall-sized piece of art from your photos, even if they are not perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom