Bloody nose after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It happened to me on the deep dive of the Advanced Open Water course but I guess it was probably due to too much alcohol the night before which made me careless with the equalizing although I was sure I didn't feel any pain and equalized often (obviously not as often as my body needed) enough.

There is a huge differnce is doing a discover scuba dive and going through the training for certification. There is also a big difference in approach to the open water dives. With others, I would encourage you to not base a decision on certification on your Discover Experience without further inquiry. Have your ears checked out to make sure there is no structural or other issue, and then LEARN to dive. That's different than forcing a dive ( not fun) and it may be that you find with proper training and a lot more knowledge, your are very comfortable in the water.
DivemasterDennis

On my first check out dive we had two discovery divers with us. I don't think either equalized the whole way down. I over equalized, and just had orange phlegm the rest of my dives (but only right after surfacing). Next time I go out (which won't be soon enough) I will read up and do all of the tips that I have found here.

I got a nose bleed on the last dive of my OW, I couldn't see myself but when the group surfaced everyone else was like "ooh that's nasty". I must have had a fair bit of blood in my mask. My instructor assured me that it just happens sometimes, and 20 dives later It hasn't happened again. Wouldn't stress it.

I believe many nose bleeds happen to beginners because they pinch their noses too hard and breaks a blood vessel. New divers can experience adrenalin due to stress. An ear not equalising can divert their attention and this is the result.

I'm sure even non-divers can understand this one:
39852036.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom