blood ~n~ snot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Fortunately by the time I got to the surface my sinuse block had resolved.... but my mask was filled with blood and snot.

Ever had a reverse block?

Yes, on two occasions in one ear - not fun! I did resign myself to losing an eardrum if my air go very, very low, but the blockage slowly cleared and I reached the surface without damage.

As for "blood and snot", it's a regular occurrence. I attribute it not to a reverse sinus block, but to warm, moist air filling my sinuses at depth, stimulating their linings to exude fluid and begin to fill the sinuses which, when ascending vertically, are forced to drain by the pressure above the fluid into the nasal passages and into my throat and mask. I've never seen much blood, but enough to turn the mess quite pink.

Reading your post uncle pug is enough for me, I need never experience that. I HOPE.:doctor:

Have a reverse block on 60-80 ft dives in right ear coupla times a year,never deeper never shallower.Have infections in eustation tubes occasionally which causes it.I think...

Had a reverse block in my ear. Was on a night dive with vis about 30 feet. I signalled for my dive buddy and he thought I wanted to prolong the dive. He gave me the sign he was low on air. I made a very clear sign I was having trouble and could not go up, except very slowly. Thought I blew my ear drum. When I did get to the surface I had no equalibrium. And a roaring headach. Next day had my ear checked out by a doctor. Seem I had an infection in the eustation tube. Ear drum was intact but very red. Never ever want to have another.

Never a reverse block but...

On a trip to Florida I started a cold the night before the flight down (timing is everything). I pushed it as I wanted to complete the course I was taking (the whoe reason for the trip).

By the 3rd day of diving, I was having trouble equalizing the left eyebrow sinus. Equalizing going down was slow and had gotten very tender and it would squeek a bit on the way up. Never had any trouble with the ears.

I quit diving for the rest of the trip as soon as I had completed the course requirements. The others got in a few more "fun" dives.

On the flight home, going up was OK but I heard squeeky noises in my skull... Coming down HURT!
It kept getting worse untill tears were rollong down my left cheek. All of a sudden, it made a LOUD squeek (the guy sitting next to me heard it!) and equalized.

My left nostril ran redish/brown for a few days as it drained but then went back to clear mucus untill the cold ended.

Happily, I havn't had a single problem since and will think twice before "pushing it" again.

Never had a reverse that bad. I dove in Coz one time with a head cole, pumped full of all kinds of drugs. I just took the mask off every now and then, washed the snot out, and kept a goin.

I think the salt water kept the head clear enough that no block ever formed.

The ones I have had were with mild sinus probs, and comming from deep, dark and cold into warmer water. Dont know why, but seems to do it to me.

Dave

Can someone PM me how I get this quote thing to work!!!

Like Dave, I've had some different experience between warm and cold water. Most of my dives are cold water (<60 deg) - it takes me a couple minutes to equalize when dropping between 20-40 feet. Not a problem after that, but when I surface I ALWAYS have some snot with a bit of blood in it. Now its not a mask full, but it always happens in cold water.

However, while in Aruba, water temp of 78 degs, I'd back roll into the water, line up my buddy (wife) and I could drop to the bottom without any problem whatsoever clearing, and when I surfaced, I never had either blood nor snot. Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know why this may be happening? :confused:

Anyone else having that cold/warm difference too or a reason for why it happens? I'm going from warm to cold and on a few dives lately I've had the blood/snot thing. Anyone know what's going on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom