blood ~n~ snot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So there I was at 117 fsw with Shane looking for some structure... any structure.

The chart showed a ravine and the shoreline indicated that we should find a clay wall.

Nothing but steep sandy slope.

It had been a gradual swim down and I could tell the gas was squeezing past my boog.... er.... into my sinuses....

We started ascending up the slope and there at 100 fsw was the escarpment looming out of the sand....

But I was not rejoicing....

The 4+ ATA in my supra orbital sinuses was not finding an exit....

"Shoot" I sez in my head....

I gave Shane the sign for "I have a sinus block" which he interpreted as "help me fix my mask seal"....

After punching Shane and clearing my mask I gave him the thumbs.... and we proceeded to make a verrrrrrrry slow ascent.

Fortunately by the time I got to the surface my sinuse block had resolved.... but my mask was filled with blood and snot.

Ever had a reverse block?

But first dive out of AOW course, my buddy had one. Can't say I liked the sight. Was very concerened seeing a mask full of blood.

Took me some time to convince myself that I was doing OK, looking for signs of DCS, and all the other bad things that can happen to you while diving. Naturally, the concerns went away after a few more dives.

It's all better now.

Ari

I have never had one. I hope I never do. Ugh. However, two of my buddies have had them, and they cleared them by stopping and hanging upside down for a couple of minutes. They said it cleared blood free.

more frequently than I care to admit. Since I was on NitrOx most decongestants were out, but my doctor prescribed a nasal steroid. The only things it affects are my nasal linings. Now I rarely have to do the valsalva manuever to equalize, I don't have those annoying clicks and pops and pain when ascending, and I have not had bllod and snot in my mask in a long, long time.

If you don't mind telling, what is the name of the nasal steroid? I will have to ask my ENT about it.

I've not had a sinus block yet, you would think I'd have all kinds of problems considering I can tell whether the weather will make a big or small change just by the pain behind my eyes when the barometer changes! I take alfalfa tablets every day to keep my sinuses in line, 5 a day works well for me, my sister takes 16 though.

Have had a reverse block in my ears though and can tell you I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Felt like someone was stabbing my eardrum with an ice pick! I didn't even know which way was up!
The first time it happened was on my 3rd checkout dive and I couldn't figure out why my buddy was taking me down when I told her I had an ear squeeze. I was ready to panic and pull away from her when I decided to put a little air in my bc just to see which way was up since I had no idea and sure enough, she was taking me up. That's when I knew what was happening and I let her control the ascent.

The second time I was diving with two of our staff members, one of whom was diving his doubles in a dry suit. He was a little negative and he and the other diver descended faster than my ears could clear. I hovered above them at 50 feet or so until they noticed I was gone (about 15 seconds) and came looking for me. I told them I had a squeeze and as we started the ascent I got the "ice pick in the ear" sensation. I signalled bad squeeze and rested my face on my buddy's shoulder, relaxed and let him bring me up, I couldn't do it myself the pain was so severe. A couple of divers getting ready to enter had to drag me out of the water, I couldn't even do that myself. I seriously thought my diving days were done because my ear hurt for 3 weeks after that. It was probably about as close to being ruptured as you can get without doing it.

Ber :bunny:

Nasarel... I think I even tried Nasalcrom once a few years ago, but it wasn't for me.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Nasarel... I think I even tried Nasalcrom once a few years ago, but it wasn't for me.

THANKS! I will talk to my ENT tomorrow about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom