Block Island Shallow Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIseaturtle

Reaction score
As many of you may or may not know Block Island has some the best shallow boat diving in the Northeast. With wrecks and pinnacles from 20' to 70'. Sea Turtle Dive Charters out of Montauk, NY frequents these sites along with other dive boats from Conn. and Rhode Island. Visibility averages around 25' and can be over 50'. Water temps. in August and September are around 65 to 70 degrees. Marine life includes blackfish, bluefish, stripped bass, sea bass, fluke, flounder, conner, scup, triggerfish, skate, electric rays, roughtail rays, spiny dogfish, lobsters, crabs, soft corals, blood stars, anenomes, nudibranches, and various jellyfish just to name a few! It's a great area for photography and video with bright ambient light off a sandy bottom. Check out our schedule through October for trips to Pinnacle, Essex, Lightburne and even the Onondaga ( which is actually near Watch Hill, R.I., but is also an excellent shallow water wreck site). Pick-ups from Block Island are available for groups of 4-6 divers.
Dive local and be safe!
Capt. Chuck Wade www.seaturtlecharters.com

I have heard diving the Pinnacle is nice. I am fairly new to diving and live in CT. Got certified last year and have 10 dives under my belt. Is the Pinnacle an appropriate dive for my skill level?

yes, depending on the current, the pinnacle would be appropriate. also, there are many other sheltered areas around the island. capt chuck does great weekend trips to block island for all skill levels. just last weekend he had a group that stayed close to shore and never passed 30'. the weekend before that we were out with him and did both deep and shallow dives. imo, the u-853 is the pristine wreck in the area, it's at 125' and worth building up to. give him a call, he's one of the best in the business. im sure he'd be more than happy to discuss all the options with you in more detail. good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom