Blindfold source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for closed eyes

I frequently simply tell students, “Just close your eyes” over giving them an over-the-mask blindfold from my pocket. It’s a trust thing.

Blackout training was part of my NAUI course back in 73 or so. The Instructors just used tin foil because it goes on easy and comes off that way too.

Reactions: OTF
+1 for closed eyes

I frequently simply tell students, “Just close your eyes” over giving them an over-the-mask blindfold from my pocket. It’s a trust thing.
And if you open your eyes during training, you're cheating yourself.

Please don't spend $ on extra stuff that will end up in trash cans sooner or later. Eyelids are it.

I usually use one of my wife's no-show socks because if you open your eyes it's visually very similar to a blackout. When I'm a trainee, I always close my eyes because I find it's easier to operate in an eyes-closed environment, as opposed to using my "visual muscles" to process useless info.

I advise my students to do the same. It isn't about trust for me, it all about good training.

When I've been in blackout situations, I close my eyes because I don't want or need useless visual feedback. My brain is used to doing things with my eyes open and receiving visual feedback (e.g. typing this message) and with my eyes closed, and receiving none. I wonder if someone with lots of experience with 0 viz could comment...

In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that when I leave for the gym (in the dark) I can't find the keyhole for the ignition on my truck. I never have that problem when there's light, but in both instances, I can't see the keyhole for the ignition.

Dive-Rite sells them.

There's a different feel to eyes closed vs. blindfolded/silted out.

There's a different feel to eyes closed vs. blindfolded/silted out.
I'm vote for closing your eyes as well. But, I do agree that there is something different about not being able to see when your eyes are open, so I can see where that exercise is useful. If you want to go that route, an instructor friend of mine uses shower caps. The elastic keeps them in place over the mask and they're easy to remove.

I recently got some blackout masks (the santi ones, I think) to use with my Scientific Diving students for training for zero vis research projects, specifically conducting oyster surveys.

I have always done the close-your-eyes method before, both as a student and instructor. I have to say the blackout mask is an entirely different thing. Psychologically, it is just a way more intense training situation. We had previously used silicone swim caps over masks. You can't see anything, but you are still getting visual information, even if it is useless. Black black black with eyes open or closed is just different.

Whether the difference is worth the money or not is a different conversation, but it's not the same.

Also, I'm very much looking forward to putting googly eyes on all the masks.

I'm vote for closing your eyes as well. But, I do agree that there is something different about not being able to see when your eyes are open, so I can see where that exercise is useful. If you want to go that route, an instructor friend of mine uses shower caps. The elastic keeps them in place over the mask and they're easy to remove.
When you can't see with open eyes, e.g., a major silt out, close your eyes. That way, you avoid sensory distraction and help your brain function better. You can use this trick outside diving - when you are trying to remember something, try closing your eyes or looking up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom