Blinded by the Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So many nice options, I will look around when I’m getting a new light, which is going to be soon I hope.

. . .
So I’m wondering what do you think, can there be too much light, do you prefer a super bright light or do you have an old weak light that you actually still like to use?

For night diving on coral reefs, a modest light avoids blinding or spooking the fish. I think my DGX 600, which replaced my Dorcy Penetrator 220, is actually a bit too bright for night reef dives.

I'm not so sure it's bad for all sea life. It helped out this crab...

(the octopus, not so much)

Not actually UV, but a visible dark blue, excites bioluminescence in lots of underwater life

I'm not so sure it's bad for all sea life. It helped out this crab...

(the octopus, not so much)

It bothers me when the big fish eat the little fish attracted to my dive light. I feel a little ashamed to be upsetting the balance of nature.

My very favorite feature of a dive light has gone by the wayside.

I have a couple of ancient OMS Phantom dive lights. (30W OMS Phantom canister dive light (800 Lumens ) $250 OBO) Nobody would buy one today. Heavy canister full of lead-acid batteries, enormous light head that can double as a hammer, but it could be focussed from a gentle flood light to a laser beam.

I don't want less light. I want something that can be focussed from a 180-degree flood to a pencil beam.

And something else to consider buying:

Aquatec Clip-on Mask Strap Underwater Red Led light Scuba Spearfishing LED-1720R | eBay

This is now my favorite light. It doesn't replace my primary. It's pretty dim, red. I turn it on beginning the dive and mount it on my mask. Stays on the entire dive. Very unobtrusive. Very narrow beam. But it's great for glancing at your gauges or computer and skittish sea life. You can find it with a white beam too if you prefer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom