Blind Descent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsonju

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just finished Blind Descent, by James Tabor, and although it is primarily about supercaving, it also offers an interesting perspective on cave diving (and on the development of the re-breather). It's a fascinating (terrifying?) sport and a good story about it.

JJ

From Slashdot:

"An interview with James Tabor, author of the new best-selling book Blind Descent, introduces a pair of accomplished scientists — American Bill Stone and Ukranian geologist Alexander Klimchouk — who are the two most prominent figures in extreme caving. Both have figured prominently in the ongoing quest to discover the deepest cave on earth. Tabor describes what conditions are like inside supercaves like Cheve (-4,869 feet) and Krubera (-7,188 feet), before discussing Stone and his far-reaching technological innovations. These include the Posideon Discovery Rebreather and NASA's ENDURANCE. Extreme caving probably won't remain underground (so to speak) much longer, however. The article notes that James Cameron is planning to release a 3D film next year about extreme cave divers."

Uhm, two different books, same name. One's full title is Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth and describes supercaving, the other is a detective thriller

I've also read the first one and agree with johnsonju, a good story and great descriptions. The only thing I found slightly annoying was the constant reminding of how dangerous the sport is. Every few pages there would be something like "but, of course, if this and this happens, you die". It brings to mind the sensationalistic reporting that's the norm these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom