Blew an O-Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although failures like this are extremely rare, this gives me another reason why I like to carry a pony bottle for both solo dives and buddy dives.

I liked your advice so much I decided to buy a pony a couple of days. I dive twice a day every day that I can and having a redundant air supply seems like an OK idea to me. I just got it set up today and am pretty stoked :cheers:

Thanks to all with helpful input. I really appreciate it.

Was it a yoke or din?

Question for anyone.
Is din much safer than yoke or does it matter much?
Negatives or positive of each?

DIN is often stated to be safer because the o-ring is captured between the regulator and the tank. I don't know that anyone has statistics to prove this, but it is an attractive concept.

Downside of DIN are that you have to seat the regulator properly to screw it in, which can sometimes be a PITA. 200 bar DIN regulators won't fit in 300 bar manifolds, but the reverse is not true. DIN tanks can be hard to find in some places (eg. Hawaii) and DIN to yoke converters can push the regulator forward and make it uncomfortable behind your head.

Yoke regs are pretty standard in most resort settings. That's the only advantage I can think of for yoke.

The way you handled the situation is a great example of thinking before reacting.

Good move on your part.

Good job davisbd23!

Good job and managing your emergency.

Good job.

I agree, good decision. But really, at 11' deep with 2300 psi--or 0 psi, for that matter--it would have taken a lot of creativity by the OP to turn this into a dangerous situation.

Thanks to the OP for posting--it's always good to be reminded of those outlying risks.

Back
Top Bottom