Bleed old air from tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No it doesn't, there was only minimal corrosion from Fresh Water, and last I checked, there's no way to get salt water in a tank from a "wet fill". LOL

That would be a really neat trick from a compressor. Try AGAIN!

Re-read your post...Your question was (and I quoted it on my post) "what research facility?". That post does answer that question. It tells you it was The University of Rhode Island.

I should have expounded on my question. My question in essence is...
What research facility showed a negative result from a wet fill that resulted in hazards or death.

Granted, 200ml of SALT WATER in a tank could create a hazard, but show me a research facility showing a wet fill from a compressor duplicating the same results.

LOL< your thread says the air in the tank had reduced oxygen content by 3 percent.

Actually the article says O2 content was reduced TO 3%. I found the full text of the article in one of the linked posts

A FATALITY FROM BREATHING A CORROSION-INDUCED HYPOXIC MIXTURE

Schench, Hilbert V., and McAniff, John J. United States Underwater Fatality Statistics-1974. NOAA Report URI-SSR-75-10

In 1974 there was one documented case of a death that was caused by breathing a corrosion-induced hypoxic mixture.

In this case, the diver took a steel tank to a depth of 12 feet to search for an outboard motor. The victim had last used this tank three months previously and it only had 300 psig remaining. Five minutes into the dive his bubbles were noted to cease and his body was later recovered.

Analysis of this accident revealed severe corrosion of the tank with large amounts of rust. There was 200 psig remaining but the oxygen content of the gas was measured to be only 2% to 3%.

The steel tank in this accident had neither a current hydro nor a current visual inspection. (The last documented visual inspection was in 1964.)

Anyone who STARTS a dive with only 300 psi already has pretty questionable judgement - for all we know the tank was last filled at a gas station air pump :)

I'm taking no position as to whether one should or should not drain and inspect their tanks every 3 months but this seems like a 1 in a million type of situation to me, hardly solid evidence that the practice is necessary.

I should have expounded on my question. My question in essence is...
What research facility showed a negative result from a wet fill that resulted in hazards or death.

Granted, 200ml of SALT WATER in a tank could create a hazard, but show me a research facility showing a wet fill from a compressor duplicating the same results.

I would also like to know that. I am not aware of any.

His post does explain the URI basis for choosing 500 Ml as a control quantity of water for the test. It was not "mimicking" a wet fill but rather water entering via 1st and 2nd stages of the regs thoughout dives.

"...Water has been known to enter scuba tanks through the second and first stages of the regulator. URI took an empty diving cylinder with an attached two-stage regulator to a depth of only 10 feet in a swimming pool. They pushed the purge button ten times. Later, after removing the cylinder's valve, they found between 195 and 211 milliliters of water in the tank. URI therefore decided to use 500 milliliters of water in their tests described below...."

I'm taking no position as to whether one should or should not drain and inspect their tanks every 3 months but this seems like a 1 in a million type of situation to me, hardly solid evidence that the practice is necessary.

Knowledge is key, then you're free to make your own decision, that's what it's all about. As long as you know what can happen and what has happened, then you can make intelligent decisions for your self. That was the whole point of my entire write up as previously quoted.

In fact, as a result of the research that I quoted, industry (such as the Compressed Gas Association, Professional Scuba Inspectors, etc.) now make "best evidence" recommendations for cylinder inspection, testing and storage. And, in fact, we have annual scuba cylinder visual inspections as the result of recommendations from the Battelle study. It's nice to go back to the review the original data to find out where all of these procedures and recommendations comes from.

LOL< your thread says the air in the tank had reduced oxygen content by 3 percent. That's 18 percent left in the tank? At the surface, our bodies only require 16 percent to support life. Underwater, we require even less. I'm starting to question your knowledge on the human life. :)

If I'm reading this correctly, he (Doc Harry) said the air in the tank had reduced oxygen content TO 3 percent, not BY 3 percent.

I would also like to know that. I am not aware of any.

His post does explain the URI basis for choosing 500 Ml as a control quantity of water for the test. It was not "mimicking" a wet fill but rather water entering via 1st and 2nd stages of the regs thoughout dives.

"...Water has been known to enter scuba tanks through the second and first stages of the regulator. URI took an empty diving cylinder with an attached two-stage regulator to a depth of only 10 feet in a swimming pool. They pushed the purge button ten times. Later, after removing the cylinder's valve, they found between 195 and 211 milliliters of water in the tank. URI therefore decided to use 500 milliliters of water in their tests described below...."

On an empty tank? Sure, on a tank with more than 140psi? Not possible.

Again, salt water did this...
When have you guys ever heard of a wet fill that resulted in salt water? The document said that the decay in fresh water tanks was minimal.

Now, if you are going to argue that if you get salt water in your tanks that this is possible, then I'm going to concede that fact, if you concede the fact that if you bleed your tanks to 0 and don't do an inspection, you are dumb deserve what you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom