Bladder for drinking underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The picture your posted is great and granted it is easy as well. Our product takes it a step further by only having to buckle one buckle.

The picture your posted is great and granted it is easy as well. Our product takes it a step further by only having to buckle one buckle.

From the picture you posted it looks like there is a loop on the top and a buckle on the lower band? The one I posted had a loop on the lower and a buckle on the top...?

Having the loop on the top and buckle on the bottom was very carefully planned out. Reversing it is neither bad nor harder as you've pointed out, but the way TurtleBak™ is setup, it is even quicker and easier.

Having the loop on the top and buckle on the bottom was very carefully planned out. Reversing it is neither bad nor harder as you've pointed out, but the way TurtleBak™ is setup, it is even quicker and easier.

I don't mean to be a d**k, but when promoting one's product as superior to others on an open forum, one should be expecting to answer questions. So my simple question is: How, is it easier/better?

One thing that should suggest that having the buckle at the top is a better solution is the possibility to removing/replacing the unit with the reg attached. Quite nice under water when sharing a 3 liter between the team :)

Best,
Bjørn

We at TurtleBak™ welcome questions and challenges as an opportunity to grow as a company, and to create the best products possible. I apologize for the lack of clarity in my last response, I'll try to be more clear in the future. Through our tests and communication with the dive community we learned that the overwhelming majority of people did not want, or need, to remove the hydration reservoir or pouch at any point while underwater. Most did not mind sharing with their dive buddy(s) while the system was attached to their tank, nor did the dive buddy(s) mind finding the buddy with the TurtleBak™ when they needed a drink. Another idea is to have a TurtleBak™ attached to the dive line, or extra tanks, at decompression stops.

Being that TurtleBak™ is comprised of a pouch and reservoir, it is incredibly easy to take the reservoir out of the pouch at any given moment, underwater or above, while leaving the pouch in place--and it takes only a few seconds to take the TurtleBak™ pouch off your tank when you end your dive. This is great for surface intervals on the boat, or on shore.

I sense you are much like me, an inventor at heart, who, as you've done with your hydration reservoir, finds a way of meeting a need from things you have close at hand. Maybe I can more fully answer your question as to how our product is easier if I saw how you have yours attached from another angle. During the designing and beta testing phase, we did try a loop on the bottom and the buckle on the top, and found that, while the attachment was not any harder, it had more tendency to move about on the tank, and caused drag if it wasn't cinched impossibly tight. Mounting it the way we have set up allows the device to be mounted and left in place for the duration of the dive, while still allowing the removal of the reservoir for, in your case, sharing or refilling purposes, or any other reason you would need to remove it for.

Now, that's a lot more like it:) It seems you have actually done some research before making your product, good on you! I still don't see the big difference between the turtle and the camel, but if I ever come across your product, I promise to have a good look at it, and if I believe it can have a meaningful contribution to my diving, buy it:) Best of luck with your business!

Ps. There is really not much to see from other angles. The camelback is attached to a decocylinder with a belt and buckle at the top, and at the bottom I have tied a bungee between the two D-rings that you just swap around the tank.

Best,
Bjørn

TurtleBak™ was created specifically for you guys who are interested in taking fresh drinking water with you while diving. It is a thousand times better than the now defunct SCUDA, and far easier, longer lasting in saltwater and sunlight, less complicated to attach than a CamelBak® and designed specifically by and for scuba divers. Plus it can hold up to an impressive 2 L of water and still be streamlined.
How does this differ from the product that Deep Sea Supply sold a couple of years ago (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55)? It looks identical. I have one of those and am very pleased with it.

How does this differ from the product that Deep Sea Supply sold a couple of years ago (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55)? It looks identical. I have one of those and am very pleased with it.

Well the one you posted reads like it is for a double setup. I am sure I can probably use it on my single tank setup with my BPW. But the Turtlebak is probably for those who dive a BC. Although the picture is a BPW.

TurtleBak™ was created specifically for you guys who are interested in taking fresh drinking water with you while diving. It is a thousand times better than the now defunct SCUDA, and far easier, longer lasting in saltwater and sunlight, less complicated to attach than a CamelBak® and designed specifically by and for scuba divers. Plus it can hold up to an impressive 2 L of water and still be streamlined.

www.TurtleBak.com

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about TurtleBak™.

I just visited your website and have a couple of questions for you.

1) I clicked the Technical selection on your site. Then I seen you sale these hydro packs in 1 LT, and 2 LT when I went to the order order screen I did not see the price for the size I want. How do I find the price for each of these packs? Does the 1 LT and 2 LT refer to bladder holding capacity?
2) I read where you posted your product is a thousand times better than SCUDA, which I also read is no longer around. I also read on your site your product has no warranty. Do you plan on warranting your product? If you do I will buy one depending on the price which I already asked about in my above question.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer the questions from both Colliam7 and Mopar with this post.

It differs greatly in that the one Deep Sea Supply sells is unprotected from punctures or abrasions, is smaller (14 fl oz) and is designed for a double tank setup. TurtleBak™ is a pouch that protects the reservoir from punctures and abrasions, and can hold up to 2 L. We designed it with the thought of cave divers or technical divers coming into contact with rough surfaces. TurtleBak™ will work with single and double tank setups, and you can put as many as 3 TurtleBak™s on one tank and still use it with a BC. I personally dive with a BPW, as it is more comfortable, for me but a lot of the divers that have tested it use normal BCs.

Depending on how you look at it, fortunately or unfortunately, the TurtleBak is a single size pouch sold with or without a 2 L reservoir. The question Mopar had regarding size was a miscommunication of ounces and fluid ounces. The website lists the weight of the TurtleBak™, TurtleBak™ and the empty reservoir, TurtleBak™ and 1 L of water, TurtleBak™ and 2 L of water. I have sent the corrections to my web admin to add the word "weight" to the technical page. Thank you, Mopar, for bringing that to our attention.

We do not offer a "warranty" per se, as in legally binding agreement to fix or replace manufacturer defects in our product; however, I do, and will, stand behind every TurtleBak™ sold or used; that if it has a manufacturers defect we WILL work with you, to either fix it, or send you a new one.

I will refund the shipping cost for you, Mopar and Thalassamania, if upon the first few uses you write a review and send it back to us (within 2 months of the sale date). I will also extend this offer to anyone who refers to this thread by the thread name in the checkout memo box, or sends us an email afterwards stating the order, date of order, and thread name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom