Blackbeard's Dec. 21-27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwickert

Reaction score
I've made my deposit for the week of Dec. 21st. I am wondering what I might expect ? Vis , surface temperature, ect... I know the trip will be awesome. The previous two trips I've made with them have been in late June and August.:confused:

8/2/02 Hi back again, so far no one has responded:( I know someone on here has been to the Bahamas in Dec. if not Blackbeard's?;-0

I went the first week of January this year. Most people used full wetsuits, 3 of us used shorties. Vis was great!

It was a great trip but kinda cool, in the seventies a bit. You'll probably want more sweatshirts etc than youve brought in the past.

Initial crossing was rough, was my first trip so I dont know how it compared in the grand scheme of things, but the return crossing was totally flat.

Still a great trip, booked for October this year. Do you or anyone have any experience that time of year?

Hey Hoogit;

I was begining to think no one would reply! :-( I absolutely LOVE this message board, and it was a bit discouraging. I bought an underwater housing for my digital camera based on what I read here. I couldn't be more Happy! It worked perfectly. Thanks for the information.
Ken

Sorry I didn't really do a good job of answering your questions, my past two trips have been in the summer though. We had a rough crossing on my last trip and I beleive it was something like 9 people puked, I stayed below and had started taking Bonine a few days before, though if I had ventured topside who knows? I guess it's all about your sealegs. I sort of beleive attitude plays a part as well, I just love the water! Though I have heard it happens to everyone eventually. This next trip might be the one!Our vis was not the greatest, but still had an incredible time. You will have a great time. To me the diving is maybe half or a bit over of the trip, the people you meet and just being on the water is incredible! Sunrises, sunsets...For the money, I really can't see beating it. Have fun.
Ken

Vis (as always) was just great.

It was a little bit chilly. Air temperatures got down to about 70 degrees at times. I was very happy to have long pants and a sweatshirt. Expect the Gulfstream crossing to be rough, wet, and chilly. Get into your rain gear before you leave the harbor and begin taking sea sickenss meds early in the day.

Water temperatures were consistently around 77 degrees with no thermoclines. Blackbeards suggests diving in a 6mm wetsuit at that time of year but I don't think that much neoprene is necessary. I skipped out on the night dives though, because night time air temperatures were a bit too chilly for me to want to be crawling out of the water in a wetsuit. I'm a wussie that way.

During my trip they were only running one of the boats. I suspect that will be true for your week as well.

Have fun! I'm so jealous! I would be going too if only my boss would let me take the week off.

Thank you Raviepoo!
I am definately looking forward to it! I know how to prepare for the summer trips, and now I have a good idea for winter as well. I have alot to learn yet to be really comfortable diving. I suck air big time! I was fortunate on the last trip to hook up with a threesome that allowed me to come up the mooring line while they stayed down, Definately don't want to rain on anyone's parade. I am learning a bit more each trip. I have a 5/3 wetsuit, just need to get a skin to make on/off a bit easier. I am the same way, I won't make all the dives my job is pretty physical I dive to relax and have fun:D it's not about logging the most dives in my logbook. Thanks for the reply.
Ken

Back
Top Bottom