Blackbeard's Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I have been all over the internet and this looks like it will/would be a great time. I have a few spots reserved in October so I hope my group wants to do it. I will put a full trip report up if we go.

Roak since your so computer savvy, how are you with Crystal Reports?? I just cannot seem to locate the database that is housing the information I am needing. And yes I have searched but once again came up with everything but what I was looking for. :wink:

Thanks all,
C

forget the stinking sharks, that site has awesome caves and tunnels riddling it! It's SO MUCH FUN.

archman:
forget the stinking sharks, that site has awesome caves and tunnels riddling it! It's SO MUCH FUN.

Yea, it is a great site without the sharks. But they do help get the rush going.

There is a little nurse shark there named Fido, who will come up and nudge you to get his back scratched.

Mike

I just got back (four weeks ago) from a four night Blackbeards.
It was just what I expected for accommodations; bunks and tight living spaces. The crew is nice and helpful if not a little moody. I think the close quarters gets to them over time. There were a lot of workplace "issues" going on with them, but that doesn't affect the reason for the trip, diving.
They usually head to the Bimini area for the four night trips and that's what I anticipated. Weather however, forced us over to the Port Lucaya area of Grand Bahama. I have to say the diving was good, not great, but good. We saw a lot of sharks and there was one deeper wreck (Theos') that was good, but overall, it didn't come close to a typical Cozumel dive experience, in my opinion.
Had we gone to Bimini, perhaps the diving would have been better. It was my first live aboard that wasn't destination specific (like the Gulf of Mexico Flower Gardens), and I thought we would be diving areas that weren't accessible to land based operators. That wasn't the case for our trip, most dives were done right next to a local dive boat.
I would say do it for the experience, but to be honest, I would opt for a hotel based dive vacation first, even if it meant spending a little more.
Hope that helps...

Dove Blackbeards a couple years back Feb2002. We dove the Bimini area. Usually 4 dives/day. Sublime Carribean diving! Most sites could be dived over any skill level. Dives were unguided. Significant current on only a few dives. Usually no surge. Vis was usually 100+. I used a full 7millimeter hooded suit - stayed nice and toasty in the 75-78 degree water.

Crew, food, compatriots excellent.

It is like dive camping though: while under sail, there was no place to stretch out; we had to sit upright shoulder-to-shoulder along the seating areas - it wasn't reasonable to use the deck and the bow area was off-limits due to ropes/jibs/booms etc. Shade didn't occur until they placed a roof tarp up. We were bunked middeck with an adjacent marine toilet which was constantly plugged - but you maybe can sort-of get used to the smell. There's nowhere above deck to get out of the elements - a small combined galley/bunk area accommodated approx 1/3 of the passengers at any given time - eating was in shifts - somebody was going to be in the rain above deck sometime or buried in their bunk area.

You will need a dry bag because everything in your seat/dive locker gets and stays wet (eventurally very fragrant).

Diving was great though. IMHO a good value for the money also.

I would sail with Blackbeards again; my wife feels otherwise. :11:

cozdiver2001:
Well I have been all over the internet and this looks like it will/would be a great time. I have a few spots reserved in October so I hope my group wants to do it. I will put a full trip report up if we go.

Roak since your so computer savvy, how are you with Crystal Reports?? I just cannot seem to locate the database that is housing the information I am needing. And yes I have searched but once again came up with everything but what I was looking for. :wink:

Thanks all,
C
He could be cranky from the sudden temp changes there in the springs....I would be too...
A friend from the Fire Dept. crews occasionally with them and always has good stories and things to say about blackbeards... Including how they put the crew down a hatch hole about 1'x1' next to the engines to sleep.
Probably will give them a try sometime in the next year when we finish medic school. What do you need to find in crystal reports?? My crystal ball is broken today...so I can't help (Couldn't resist)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom