Blackbeard - Questions Backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh..one more...

Electrical outlets. I would need to charge camera batteries. Is there an electrical outlet in the bunks, near the bunks? Is this community use? I do have a small travel power strip would I be able to use that?

The electrical outlet is on the ceiling several feet away from the top bunk shelf, so they recommend a surge protected extension cord (since you're on a boat and there could potentially be surges or brownouts). We used part of the top shelf (of 2 shelves) to charge our camera battery, dive computer, dive light, and cell phone for music selection (on the BB's Sea Explorer they had a cable to connect our phone to their speaker system, but some people bought a sim card and kept up with emails/phone calls to family).

You could solely use your travel power strip if it has an extension cord, otherwise you'd need to connect it to an extension cord (if you want it for the USB ports, for example).

Not to change topics... there are two BB boats? Are they the same layout?

There is the Sea Explorer and the Morningstar. They looked about the same to me, but someone who had been on both told us that they were happy we were all on the better, cleaner boat - the Sea Explorer. As I said, they looked similar to me, but I didn't go in the Morningstar. We didn't know which boat we would be on until we got there, but you could always phone and find out.

Both boats usually go diving around the same sites as each other each day, and anchor near each other each night. We saw the Aqua Cat also doing the same dives and anchoring at the same place each night, wherever we were that day.

I found the Blackbeard's checklist helpful, if you scroll way down to it at: Trip Info for Blackbeard's Details, Rates, Hotels + Checklists

In regard to their advice to bring clothes pegs to keep your wetsuits/swimsuits, etc. from blowing away on the lines, we got a great tip on SB to bring spring loaded clips, which worked great. There were a few on the lines, but people kept using ours, but we did bring a lot just in case. We brought some heavier spring clips for our boots as suggested, but the captain suggested that boots weren't safe on the line and they might not stay there, so the heavier spring clips were not needed at all. The lighter spring clips were used all week. I got them at Canadian Tire, but probably any hardware store will have them.

Also the FAQ's: Blackbeard's Bahamas - Frequently Ask Questions - FAQs

I believe most weeks both the Morning Star and the Sea Explorer go out, except for one week per year of maintenance for each boat. If you have people you want to be on the same boat with, but you booked separately, you should let them know - they usually don't finalize boat assignments until about a week before the cruise.

The boats are "twins", but I believe the Sea Explorer has updated heads (toilets) with more oval-shaped bowls, versus the fairly small circular bowls on the Morning Star. We had a great time on our cruise on the Morning Star, but the heads were probably the worst aspect.

On the Morning Star there were plenty of bigger clips for wetsuits that you could use, but we did bring some strong, smaller clips (these: https://www.amazon.com/Set-40-Stain...3eb0ee1dc0f661b84e6e79a3429f9d&language=en_US) that worked perfectly on the cables on the sides of the boats for keeping smaller, lighter items like shirts, bathing suits, etc. secure even during windy times.

interesting about both boats going out every week....I checked and even in 2020 they show only 18 bunks for nearly every sail date. Must be how they schedule then i guess.

Good to know about telling them who you're with as my buddy and i booked together, and then a couple days later a friend and another guy booked as well. We will have to make sure we are on the same boat. Wish they published that kind of info...

interesting about both boats going out every week....I checked and even in 2020 they show only 18 bunks for nearly every sail date. Must be how they schedule then i guess.

Good to know about telling them who you're with as my buddy and i booked together, and then a couple days later a friend and another guy booked as well. We will have to make sure we are on the same boat. Wish they published that kind of info...

I think 18 is the max number their website shows. When me and a couple of my friends registered, the number didn't change and stayed at 18 for a few days after that.

Yes, great hint about letting them know about your travel companions. We will try to confirm via phone or email that the 3 of us go together. It's 9 days from now, can't wait.

If I were to guess why they only show 18 bunks for each date, I would guess that the rest may be reserved for groups -- a lot of dive shops book group trips with them.

Scuba-74 you will have a great time. Going at this time of year, one other hint I would give is to take 2 sets of light jacket/pants -- 1 to go on over wet clothes for in between dives, and 1 to keep dry. I'm generally not one to get cold, especially that far south, but with so many dives a day and more wind this time of year you can get a bit chilly in a damp bathing suit and rashguard between dives -- and many times there is not really enough time in between to be worth switching to dry clothes before you need to suit up for the next dive.

Scuba-74 you will have a great time. Going at this time of year, one other hint I would give is to take 2 sets of light jacket/pants -- 1 to go on over wet clothes for in between dives, and 1 to keep dry. I'm generally not one to get cold, especially that far south, but with so many dives a day and more wind this time of year you can get a bit chilly in a damp bathing suit and rashguard between dives -- and many times there is not really enough time in between to be worth switching to dry clothes before you need to suit up for the next dive.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind. The weather outlook so far looks promising, with high in mid-70s and low in mid-60s.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind. The weather outlook so far looks promising, with high in mid-70s and low in mid-60s.
It was that warm, or perhaps slightly warmer, for us too -- which is not normally weather that I would get chilly in (I often just wear T-shirt and shorts to the gym unless it is below freezing). However, on the boat you are either on deck with the wind, below deck on your bunk (which you don't really want to be on wet) or in the galley with limited space - sometimes none. I had a dry jacket to wear on deck at night after showering, but wished I had another one that I could just throw on over my damp rashguard between dives.

Does anybody know if their suggested transportation option ($18 per person I believe) is the best way for 2 people to get from the airport to the boat? Will regular taxi or Uber be more expensive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom