Blackbeard - Questions Backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but even on their website I read it as, if you have an ok time, please leave $100-$150... I'd expect to have more then an ok time, and I'd at least be prepared to tip a little more then the suggested amount.

I see suggested 10%-15% as a fairly wide spread covering a wide range of experiences. The way I read it, $100 is for the service that is barely OK, and $150 is for the service that is very, very good. If the service is sub par (can't really come up with a solid example from experience and hopefully won't encounter it this time), I see nothing wrong with tipping less that $100. If the service is in their own words "outstanding" (again, not sure what constitutes going above and beyond on a liveaboard), I see nothing wrong with tipping more than $150. I wouldn't consider tipping on the higher end for sub par service a good tipping practice.

I personally would be coming expecting to leave $150 (that's what I factored in when planning the trip) for the great service, and don't see it as a light tip at all. I appreciate BB's specifying the expected range on their website, it does help with planning.

@Scuba-74, enjoy your trip. Report back with a trip report if you have time... I'm thinking of booking a trip with them and I'm curious to read other peoples opinions of their operation (and of course, the dive conditions).

@Scuba-74, enjoy your trip. Report back with a trip report if you have time... I'm thinking of booking a trip with them and I'm curious to read other peoples opinions of their operation (and of course, the dive conditions).

Thank you! Really looking forward to it, will do my best to put together a quick report upon my return.

As someone who recently did a week with Blackbeard's (September), just going to say that I highly recommend them. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I looked through everything I got from them and nothing indicates the specific vessel we will be on. Do you know where to find this? In any event, we may be shipmates....sounds good to me! Yes, we cannot wait as well.

Interesting story for us, since this thread has stalled out a little. My brother in law (BIL) and I have been wanting to do the Blackbeards for a while. However, our wives who are divers also are not keen on "camping on the water" and we felt there is now way they would ever agree. So, my BIL was talking with his wife (my wife's sister) and she suggested why don't we all fly to the Bahamas and the girls will get a condo (Freeport) for the week and the guys can fly down to Nassau and do the Blackbeards. Bless her heart for coming up with this....perfect solution. So, we are all flying to Freeport and staying the night in a room and the next morning the girls check into the condo (we have time shares) and me and BIL are flying down to Nassau to get on Blackbeard. When we get back, we fly back to Freeport spend the night with the girls and the next day fly back to the states. Sounds complicated, but very doable.

Anyway, hope to see you on the boat and we will definitely do some dives together if we are shipmates. Is this your first time?

Snagel

I looked through everything I got from them and nothing indicates the specific vessel we will be on. Do you know where to find this? In any event, we may be shipmates....sounds good to me! Yes, we cannot wait as well.

Interesting story for us, since this thread has stalled out a little. My brother in law (BIL) and I have been wanting to do the Blackbeards for a while. However, our wives who are divers also are not keen on "camping on the water" and we felt there is now way they would ever agree. So, my BIL was talking with his wife (my wife's sister) and she suggested why don't we all fly to the Bahamas and the girls will get a condo (Freeport) for the week and the guys can fly down to Nassau and do the Blackbeards. Bless her heart for coming up with this....perfect solution. So, we are all flying to Freeport and staying the night in a room and the next morning the girls check into the condo (we have time shares) and me and BIL are flying down to Nassau to get on Blackbeard. When we get back, we fly back to Freeport spend the night with the girls and the next day fly back to the states. Sounds complicated, but very doable.

Anyway, hope to see you on the boat and we will definitely do some dives together if we are shipmates. Is this your first time?

Snagel

So your leaving May 11 as well? Cool. I dont know if both boats go out every week or if they rotate. It seems like they only send 1 boat a week out as they dont tell you what boat you're on and also they only list 18 bunks per trip.

Yep this will be the first BB trip for my dive buddy and I. He also got another friend of his and his buddy to go. I am very much looking forward to it. Especially since its been snowing all day today and there's about 3-4 in of snow and a high of 23F today.

We are flying in to Nassau on friday am and then also staying over the last friday to fly home on saturday. So basically the same schedule as you.

Hope to see you on the boat.

I've done Blackbeard's twice and both times both boats were out. I think they are both out most weeks.

Not to change topics... there are two BB boats? Are they the same layout?

They used to have 3 boats until the Pirates Lady ran aground about 5 years ago and they are all the same size and layout.

When we did the Blackbeard's cruise years ago, all 3 boats were out that week and my husband and I were on the Sea Explorer. They sailed out of Florida back then not Nassau, and all 3 boats docked in Bimini at the same time and we all had fun together while ashore.

During that week all 3 boats also moored off of a small island in the Bahamas that was being mined for salt by a glass manufacturer. We had a bonfire party on the beach and the workers joined us and provided wood for the fire.

I have a lot of great memories from that trip, including some very good dives - it was our first liveaboard - but not our last!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom