Blackbeard Dive Shirts - Your Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. It's a shotgun crossed with a speargun (you know usually linked to diving). Its not even close. You seem to be the type that just looks for things to get offended by.

Actually not. If you look over my posts you will see I am not usually offended. That it was a speargun was apparent on second look. What a shotgun has to do with diving I do not know. The confederate army was gray. (I actually have not trouble with them either. They fought for who they identified with like most soldiers). My only issue is with some groups who have appropriated the symbols for their own purposes many years later. But that is not related to diving.

The OP ASKED what we thought about the artwork. That particular piece of art work at first glance looked like it was talking about the CSA. A logo or any other symbol should send the desired message at first glance. In my particular case it did not. I answered the OPs question.

So what is Carolina Steel? Is it a sporting good store hence the shotgun and the bird? Is it a T-shirt company? Not obvious at first glance.

So what do you know. Just found out they are a local Raleigh clothing company. Some nice designs. Too bad I just do no like the logo as a graphics thing. No problem. I wish them luck.

You know it's possible for a company to market to mutiple demographics. In this case hunters/divers/fishermen.

You responding again as I type this. Oh man good for you, you went to his website and actually figured it out what his company is about.

By the way, I've bought from CSC several times now. Excellent products even better customer service.

I am not referring to the two designs which are the red and white and black pirate. That is fun.
I am referring to the third one which had a grey background and what appeared to be crossed rifles on it with the large letters CS. It reminded me of the confederacy. Not saying that was the intent but that was the impression I got.

As to the other bit. Yes I moved to NC in the very early 70s from the midwest. I went to the coast to fish. Had to drive by a nightrider billboard to get there. Went up to a pier and kindly asked about a pier ticket. Lady told me they did not want my kind. Maybe it was my lack of southern accent, maybe my beard (they were not common then) I do not know. Another time was staying with my wife and young child in a cheap motel down by the coast. As we were leaving the next morning a fellow yelled at me to go back to russia where I came from. ?? I have met a lot of nice folks of all types and I have spent many hours fishing with folks of all races and economic statuses. But negative impressions have often been linked with the those displaying CSA symbols.

OP asked for my response. That was it.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve. Oddly enough, someone else told me the same thing. That was not the intent.

FYI - Carolina Steel Co is a just collection of all of my favorite things. www.carolinasteelco.com

The word "Steel" come from steel shot (waterfowl hunting), steel shafts (spearfishing) and steel tanks (diving). The logo in my profile is the original symbol logo.

We also have a CSC dive logo we use for dive apparel and training. We have moved away from the original symbol logo only for the diving side.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Attachments

• cotton flo blue dive shirt.JPG
    cotton flo blue dive shirt.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 104
Another shirt coming soon. Dive logo on front chest. list of NC wreck sites on back.

Thanks

Attachments

• Dive Site Shirt.png
    Dive Site Shirt.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 102
Wow that's a really cool shirt. I've had multiple people compliment me on the performance white Carolina Steel shirt.

Back
Top Bottom