Black Water and Big Animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a real long run to get to deep water in most places. Kona has depths at just a couple of miles off shore. Ya gotta wonder what has been checking us out in the inky blackness that we can't see?

Matt,

What an experience! I would have been just as scared as you were. A Swordfish can kill you. Maybe accidentally, but it can kill. I agree, that was too close.

Just looking through posts about Kona and you come up often. Which dive op are you with? My husband and I are coming with some friends in late Jan 07 and are interested in doing the Manta dive and some day diving. What is the water temp then usually? We usually dive with 3mm full wetsuits. Will that be enough? Thanks in advance for your help!

Matt works for Big Island Divers, they have an awsome crew and a brand new fast boat. JAnuary temps are 75-78 F. 3mm suits are fine.
Aloha and enjoy your visit.

What an awesome experience for all of you. Probably one that will be hard to beat. I have never heard of Black Water Diving. Please explain what it is. Does it have to do with the distance from land, or the depth of the water you are in?

Thanks for sharing the wonderful tale

So ya do the manta dive just after sundown, run back to teh dock, it's not far and drop off everyone else. Then you run out past the 1000 fathom line at 10ish at night, clip off to a control line, yes you will need it, then jump into the inky blackness and hang there while some realy awsome critters come visit. Squid came by, got pics of a seahorse, in 7000 feet of water! I never would have guessed! Syphonofors (sp) jellies....The manta dive is awsome and rated as the number one night dive in the world, the black water is 10X better! Search blackwater here and you will find the other thread with pics.

Matt, you're just sick-fortunate to have seen that! So what's gonna be your next trick? Mola? Great white?

Got to see the Mola in South America, not holding out much hope to see one in Hawaii.

One of my black water videos got picked up by podcast, thanks to Marylynn Price. I'll post a new thread with a link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom