Black silicone or clear silicone in TUSA Visualator mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at my LDS today at masks. I happen to be looking at the TUSA Visualator masks. I have a TUSA Tri Viseo-EX in clear silicone. I've dove it once, it's OK but not as big as lens as the Visualator. I haven't had a black shirted mask since the early '80s. I am not a photographer do I intend to become one. I like the large lens of the Visualator and the relatively low volume for easy clearing.
I dive mostly in a local lake with 15-20 vis on a good day and maybe one or two trips to Florida during the summer if I'm lucky. I am looking for maximum comfort and vision with the Visualator I pick?
Any suggestions from current owners of this mask?

I like the large lens of the Visualator and the relatively low volume for easy clearing.

You're kidding about it being "relatively low volume" I hope. According to ScubaDiving magazine it is twice the volume of the average mask, and second only to a HydrOptix in terms of overall volume.

I used to dive a Visualator and switched to the Atomic Frameless. Greater field of view horizontally and vertically, much more comfortable, much lower volume. I'd suggest you look at the Atomic or any of the similar frameless masks. See recent review in ScubaDiving Magazine. (10 Frameless Masks - Scuba Diving Magazine)

200802_frameless_masks_03.jpg

200802_frameless_masks_03a.jpg

The Tilos Excel was the only other mask with as wide a field of view, though not as good looking downward as the Atomic:

200802_frameless_masks_08.jpg

200802_frameless_masks_08a.jpg

BTW - low-volume frameless masks achieve a greater field of view with a smaller lens because the lens is closer to your eyes.

I tried the Atomic. Nice mask, but a little narrow for my mug to fit . I tried on the black silicone version of the Visualator and the lens was alot closer to my eyes than I would've thought= low volume. Look at the reviews from Leisure Pro on this mask, 25 mostly positive. I was just wanting to know what owners of this mask had to say on Scubaboard

I had a Visualator up until last year, when my old eyes forced me to go to a gauge reader mask. I really liked it, but I needed the magnification to read my computer, especially on the night dives. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be using it and have no problem recommending it.

The one I had was clear skirted, and the new mask has a black skirt. After using both, I really like the black skirt much better. I never realized how much of a glare I was getting with the clear skirt until I tried the black one. The clear skirt doesn't really allow for peripheral vision, it just lets light in, which in my case created glare. With the black skirt, no glare, and it seems to me at least that I focus better on whatever it is I'm looking at. YMMV.

If I can focus on the reading my gauges better with the black shirt(I'm 53 and wear contacts) and and I have a bigger lens than the TUSA Tri Viseo X, then I guess that puts my vote toward the Visualator with a black shirt. It seemed softer also when I tried it on.

I guess I'll be the contrarian here. I have the Visualator with the black skirt and I'm going to switch back to the clear skirt. I miss the additional visual clues that a clear skirt provides - not real peripheral vision, but I seem to get a better sense of what's just outside my field of view with a clear skirt.

I used my son's mask with a clear skirt the other day and had to cup my hands around the skirt to get rid of the glare. I just ordered a new mask for him with a black skirt, I went with the Dive Rite es115.

The Visualator is an excellent mask for people with broad or large faces. Neither of the Atomics, frameless or semi, even come close to fitting me. They are really quite small, so their low volume is no surprise. Unfortunately, my nose touches the glass before the rubber skirt reaches my face. I understand that most masks now come in two sizes, small and very small, but those Atomics feel like toys. On the other hand, the Visualator is a perfect fit for me, and I've never had any problems connected with mask volume.
Black silicone is my choice, absolutely. Black eliminates glare problems, and the Visualator's black silicone is noticably softer than the clear.

I think I may go that route also. I dive in Lake Lanier north of Atlanta alot and I would like a mask that helps me read my computer better. I am 53 and wear soft contacts. I've some people say that they can focus better and see clearer with a black silicone mask. Lanier can be like alot of lakes, murky often.

Back
Top Bottom