Black or Yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BINGO!!!! I have a yellow long hose. I think the color is cool. But the thing is just too darn floaty. I am stuck with it for a while. If I were buying again, I would go black for the floaty reason.

Being a slave to underwater fashion and my whole bumblebee thing, it is yellow for now! LOL Seriously though, if I had known about how floaty it was, I would not have purchased it.
I thought it was preferred that the long hose was a little floaty so that it would stay trapped against the body when stowed and not be an entanglement hazard?

I thought it was preferred that the long hose was a little floaty so that it would stay trapped against the body when stowed and not be an entanglement hazard?

I will let the true DIR folks answer that one. I just know that when I tuck it in my belt the way I think I am supposed to route it without a can light, it is too floaty and gets loose on me and I have to keep reeling it in. Now that I know that is a problem, I keep chekcing on it all the time.

If I was buying another long hose now or any other hose it would be the miflex kind and black but everything but my aga mask and O2 reg are black anyway so....

pick a rare colour so nobody else "accidently" picks up your regs thinking it is theres

I dive exclusively in murky water. I switched to a yellow hose a few years ago and haven't noticed any floating hose problem. I want to make sure if an OOA diver approaches they take the reg from my mouth, not the one bungeed around my neck.

pick a rare colour so nobody else "accidently" picks up your regs thinking it is theres
umm...anybody picking up my gear will draw back a nub. i'll sic my buddies on them, and *then* they'll be sorry!

In my first part of Tech 1 a teammate had a yellow hose. It is indeed more floaty and stiffer than a regular black one. Not a huge deal, but made for managing things on ascent a bit more of a PITA. Mostly it would have a couple loops in it and float around and get in the way.

He's since switched to a regular black hose, and we all like him better for it. So, although there are reasons to go with a colorful hose, if you are talking pure functionality for the type of stuff DIR divers do in practice and in emergencies, a black hose would work better.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom