Black Ice + Atomic SS1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with octo/inflators is that divers are not taught to use them properly. You need an octo length hose on your primary because this is what you will donate. It is funny (but sad) to see a diver try to donate an Air 2 or the like. The rationale for an octo inflator is that you always know where the octo is, this is not always the case with a conventional secondary. Also as Dr. Lector mentions most OOA divers are not going to calmly swim up to you, give the out of air sign and then wait for you to donate the octo. This is a certifying agency's fairy tale. I agree with Lecter and Chen that a necklaced short hose secondary is the way to go.

As far as the disadvantages I read here. If the octo/inflator pulls then the hose is not long enough or flexible enough. You need at least a 16" true rubber correlated hose not a plastic wannabe. As far as dumpling air when breathing, this is usually not a problem with a jacket bc because it has shoulder dumps. If the BC does not have a shoulder dump you can add a pull dump (I don't really recommend this though). As far as breathing goes an octo/inflator does not breath any worse than some of the small puck octos being sold. In fact some breath better. To solve the hose problem you can use a regulator hose with an adaptor and change the adaptor for either an octo inflator or a conventional one.

I have been diving with the Scubapro version of the SSI which is the AIR II for 23 years now and have never had a problem of any kind with it. Of course it doesn't breathe as good as my primary (Atomic T2X) but it breathes just fine when I have used it. All I really care about is it getting me back to the surface anyway and that's only going to take a couple of minutes. I have practiced doing an air share with it numerous times and there has never been a difficulty in doing so.

I do like having one less hose but don't know that anyone could ever really tell that they are more "streamlined" because of it. Most likely folks couldn't tell the difference underwater with a combo unit vs a traditional octo on a separate hose. I do think by having a combo unit, it becomes instinctive where to reach for your octo should you ever need it because it's where you reach for your inflator.

The bottom line is some folks have the combo units and love them like myself and many other folks I know and some folks have tried them and didn't like them for whatever reason. But it's that way with pretty much all scuba gear. Folks on SB go on and on about the BP/W but I tried one and didn't like it. You won't go wrong with the Atomic SSI if you purchase one. It's a quality piece of equipment that's safe and easy to use if you practice with it and understand your equipment and the dangers you will see and hear folks talk about in using a combo are pretty much what I call "internet diving dangers".

OP I think you got a good range of opinions, and luckily did not get to see the bile that sometimes comes out when discussing Air2/SS1s.

Things to note: It's plenty easy to let air out of the SS1 using it's release valve, when it is in your mouth, so you do not need a separate dump or to use your right hand to dump on ascent.

There are some corrugated hoses (the thick black hose attached to the BCD) that are stiff and hard to use with an SS1. But those corrugated hoses are too stiff to use for oral inflation as well. Basically if you can easily use a corrugated hose for oral inflation then you can easily use an Air2/SS1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom