Black face gauges mixed with White face gauges- Problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read gauges like I read a speedometer -- the angle of the needle gives me most of the information. It hasn't mattered at all what color the face is.

I wanted to make a joke about Black on the left and Red on the right if you dive Hog....

but....

Does anyone make SPG's with different orientations? For example I have a black 2" spg on my AL40 that's slung on my left side. I don't have it lollipoped, I have it pointing down along thank. But this forces me to read the gauge from the side.

As my white face gauges give up the ghost I am switching to black. For me the black face gauges are easier to read at night or in low vis as what stands out are the lines and numbers. At night my white face gauges when hit with the HID are bright enough to not only obscure the lines due to the glow but also mess up my night vision for a few minutes. The blacks don't do that.

For rental gear if someone is confused by the color of the SPG's face they probably should not be using scuba gear in the first place.

Thus is great info.

I do lots of night diving, and this is a constant source of frustration. Especially when I am diving without lights, and only do the light to check the gauge.

I have problems seeing white gauges directly too. Unfortunately my black face gauge is apparently not a good black face gauge, because it's just hard to read in general.

---------- Post added June 21st, 2013 at 10:47 PM ----------

Does anyone make SPG's with different orientations? For example I have a black 2" spg on my AL40 that's slung on my left side. I don't have it lollipoped, I have it pointing down along thank. But this forces me to read the gauge from the side.

The semi-old Dacors had a console that was designed to be attached across the body so the gauge was oriented sideways from normal, but that's 15 years ago, and a plastic gauge to boot. I sold my Dacor stuff loooong ago.

Like this one:
Dacor Octopus Scuba Diving Set Up with Dive Computer | eBay

Back
Top Bottom