Bimini Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSimp

Reaction score
Do any dive operations in the Ft. Lauderdale area run day charters to Bimini?

Wow - that would be one long day. The places I know run multi-day trips there. Even I would have trouble blasting across the Florida Straits, doing a bunch of dives, blasting back across, and clearing customs in one day. The DEA and Customs people do the run all the time, but they have four outboards on their boats, plus they don't pay for the gas.

I agree with Tom here...... That would be a long day trip. Also not cost productive.

It'd take 3-4 hours to get to Bimini in a boat large enough to handle 6-8 foot waves of the Gulf Steam doing 18 to 20 knots. Once you get there, the bahamas has raised their customs rates on boaters now. It's $300 per boat.

Considering it costs about $125-$150 per diver to dive the Empire Mica on an all day trip and it's only a 25 mile one-way trip and doesn't require as big of a boat or crossing the gulf stream anc clearing customs going both ways, I don't see how a Florida operator could make the Bimini run with divers for less than $250 to $300 per diver for a day.

Tom Winters:
Wow - that would be one long day. The places I know run multi-day trips there. Even I would have trouble blasting across the Florida Straits, doing a bunch of dives, blasting back across, and clearing customs in one day. The DEA and Customs people do the run all the time, but they have four outboards on their boats, plus they don't pay for the gas.

Thanks for the info. I heard Bimini was about 50 miles from Florida and was not sure if it was possible or not. Thanks for your reply.
Doug

DSimp:
Thanks for the info. I heard Bimini was about 50 miles from Florida and was not sure if it was possible or not. Thanks for your reply.
Doug

It's possible. Just not cost productive for a non-liveaboard.. The diving there is good though.

If you want to go on a boat from Florida, check out the Blackbeard Cruises. That's the destination that they go to the most and they depart from Miami.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom