bikini atoll is it worth the $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@nadwidny

Perhaps you have something to add to this thread?

Perhaps you'd like to keep it to yourself? :p
I liked it. I would go again.. Haven't been to the other places so I can't compare, although I leave for Chuuk tomorrow so I can compare the two after that..

Enjoy your trip. Hope you have as much fun as I had.

Just FYI, I thoroughly enjoyed my dive trips to the Solomons, the Philippines and to Chuuk/Truk, but I must say that Bikini was in a class by itself – at least when I dove it in November 2000. And, that is why it is still fun to reminisce. When I add it all up: the wrecks, the history, the location, the warm water, the good visibility and its beauty, I still consider Bikini to be the most “high voltage” dive trip that I have taken. The saying at the time was that Bikini is like Truk on steroids, and I agreed. If you want to see what topside Bikini looked like in 2000, just follow the link below to the ScubaBoard Photo Gallery. The video we had made of us diving the wrecks is too large to post in the Photo Gallery.

When we dove Bikini the dive operation was land based. We were a group of six divers from Kwajalein - a short flight for us. We all thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The standard one week package back then was twelve dives. Before the trip we spent time studying the nuclear testing at Bikini, along with the history of the ships - which was a lot and very interesting - and this greatly added to the fulfillment of the diving.

In the past, the chamber at Kwajalein was allowed to be used for a Bikini diver who had some problems, but I do not know about now. If a diver is comfortable at depth (e.g. would not hesitate if they have to clear their mask at 180 feet,) such diver should probably be at ease for the standard Bikini diving. We had no problems diving on air. We had some fun times hanging out on the deco bar, so that did not bother us. Back then most of us did not have dive computers that allowed us to switch gas underwater to the oxygen-enriched air provided by the dive boat on the deco bar, so deco times on the bar were long.

We did our checkout dive on the bridge of the Saratoga (best checkout dive ever); but unfortunately, I have heard this dive may no longer be available (?). What they called the “Haunted House” dive through the Saratoga’s hangar bay was very electrifying, but also heard that this exact dive may no longer be available (?).

Our AIr Marshall Island plane did break down on the day we were supposed to leave; resulting in us getting for free one extra dive. We ended up taking a ship (the Great Bridge) back to Kwajalein - a 24 hour trip. It was actually a very suitable way to end an exotic trip. The ship had arrived from Kwaj on a mission related to the radiation monitoring taking place around Bikini - there were no problems with background levels of radiation back then.

Great memories! Can't believe it has almost been twenty years.

Albums for user: pazz | ScubaBoard

The Great Bridge at Bikini – our ride home.

Bikini 046.jpg

thanks @pazz

im inspired !

I've been back for about a week and half now from Chuuk. So I did Bikini in July and Chuuk last month so I now have a pretty good idea of the comparison of both.

Best bang for the buck-Chuuk. (based on staying at Blue Lagoon) Probably do 2 Chuuk trips to one Bikini trip. Wrecks are fantastic and some don't even require deco to get a 120 minute dive in (most of the stuff we did though required deco).

Way cool factor because few people go there- Bikini. (Note- All dives are deco dives)

Best wrecks- A wash. Hard to compare fully laden cargo vessels (Chuuk) with being able to dive on a WW2 aircraft carrier and other war ships (bikini).

Can I dive singles?-Chuuk, yes. Bikini, no way.

Should I can the OC doubles and bring my rebreather? - Bikini, yes. Chuuk, Whatever floats your boat. I brought my RB. I was not unhappy with that decision.

Best super cool land experience- Bikini. Going ashore on the island and wandering among the vacant buildings and to be on that island was a thrill. Chuuk was pretty close though as we did a couple of afternoons on remote islands to enjoy the Snorkel Maru. I didn't do any tours on Chuuk to any of the old Japanese buildings. You've seen one 80 year old crumbly concrete structure with graffiti, you've seen them all. Plus the road there is not good.

Fly times from Washington (the state, not the DC) was the same to either place. Fly business. The extra luggage allowance alone is worth it.

Getting from Kwaj to the boat on Ebeye is not a lot of fun. I would suggest to smoke some hash or pound back a few shots of vodka upon landing to make things better but the big security dudes at Kwaj would probably frown on that.And you don't want them angry at you. The 25hr rides to Bikini atoll from Ebeye and then back went by fairly quick.

FWIW I am booked to go back to both places in the next couple of years.

I've been back for about a week and half now from Chuuk. So I did Bikini in July and Chuuk last month so I now have a pretty good idea of the comparison of both.

Best bang for the buck-Chuuk. (based on staying at Blue Lagoon) Probably do 2 Chuuk trips to one Bikini trip. Wrecks are fantastic and some don't even require deco to get a 120 minute dive in (most of the stuff we did though required deco).

Way cool factor because few people go there- Bikini. (Note- All dives are deco dives)

Best wrecks- A wash. Hard to compare fully laden cargo vessels (Chuuk) with being able to dive on a WW2 aircraft carrier and other war ships (bikini).

Can I dive singles?-Chuuk, yes. Bikini, no way.

Should I can the OC doubles and bring my rebreather? - Bikini, yes. Chuuk, Whatever floats your boat. I brought my RB. I was not unhappy with that decision.

Best super cool land experience- Bikini. Going ashore on the island and wandering among the vacant buildings and to be on that island was a thrill. Chuuk was pretty close though as we did a couple of afternoons on remote islands to enjoy the Snorkel Maru. I didn't do any tours on Chuuk to any of the old Japanese buildings. You've seen one 80 year old crumbly concrete structure with graffiti, you've seen them all. Plus the road there is not good.

Fly times from Washington (the state, not the DC) was the same to either place. Fly business. The extra luggage allowance alone is worth it.

Getting from Kwaj to the boat on Ebeye is not a lot of fun. I would suggest to smoke some hash or pound back a few shots of vodka upon landing to make things better but the big security dudes at Kwaj would probably frown on that.And you don't want them angry at you. The 25hr rides to Bikini atoll from Ebeye and then back went by fairly quick.

FWIW I am booked to go back to both places in the next couple of years.
thanks for that im heading back to chuuk june and first time in bikini in sept so will, like you, have a good comparison. CCR for both trips

~snip~
EDIT: Don't go without trip insurance. This year there were trips interrupted for DCS hit, Dengue Fever, and US missle testing. If you can book directly through BlueOTwo, do that. We had an atrocious experience w Dive Adventures.
What happened with Dive Adventures?
They are a pretty high profile dive tour operator here in Australia, I've used them three times without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom