"Big Stuff" in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baron015

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all

Does anyone have recommendations for where to see "Big Stuff" around the New Year time ? My buddy has a great desire to see big shoals of trevally, barracuda, perhaps sharks, basically lots of silver stuff in the water.

I usually go to Red Sea for New Year, since its near to the UK, but after 3-4 years feel like a change. Also its winter time there and not so great for seeing lots of big stuff, and my buddy is wondering where in the world would be better ?

Just got back from a week in Lembeh - fantastic ! and can't wait to go back and see all the critters again - but buddy insistent on wanting to see big stuff next, so return to Lembeh will have to wait.

Thanks for help and suggestions !

Cheers
TB.

Hey all

Does anyone have recommendations for where to see "Big Stuff" around the New Year time ? My buddy has a great desire to see big shoals of trevally, barracuda, perhaps sharks, basically lots of silver stuff in the water.

I usually go to Red Sea for New Year, since its near to the UK, but after 3-4 years feel like a change. Also its winter time there and not so great for seeing lots of big stuff, and my buddy is wondering where in the world would be better ?

Just got back from a week in Lembeh - fantastic ! and can't wait to go back and see all the critters again - but buddy insistent on wanting to see big stuff next, so return to Lembeh will have to wait.

Thanks for help and suggestions !

Cheers
TB.

Big silvery fish don't usually hang out over reefs, usually. They are more "blue water" critters. Liveaboards will probably get you to see what he is looking for:

You might want to check out one of the liveaboards that visit Socorro area off Baja Mexico.
Socorro Liveaboard diving aboard Solmar V - Giant Mantas, Sharks and Humpback Whales at the Socorro Islands and Sea of Cortez
http://www.nautilusexplorer.com/

Also the liveaboards to Cocos Island off Costa Rica.
Aggressor: Cocos Island, Costa Rica, scuba diving, Hammerhead Sharks
UNDERSEA HUNTER

the other option that comes to mind for me is the Galapagos.
None of these trips are cheap, but you are pretty much guaranteed to see big animals - sharks, mantas, maybe even whale sharks.
robin:D

The Caribbean/Central/South America might be kinda far for you, and you rarely hear anyone speaking "British" in the Galloping Pogos....

From the UK?

Maldives would be nice. South Africa if you really want to buy the ultimate thrill ride experience.

There is stuff that's better than big. But, go see the big stuff, then after a few big-guy encounters, you might want to stick around for the cool little stuff. It's everywhere- most of the time we just swim right by it.

It's a hike from the UK, or from anywhere, for that matter, but Cocos Island is fabulous for hammerheads, silkies, Galapagos sharks, and the occasional whale shark, marlin, or tiger shark.

it took me six flights to get to the Galapagos

it took me 2 days + 10 hours of continuous travel to get to Cocos

and it was so worth it when i got there

now I'm looking at going to Socorro and I believe it is another 2 1/2 day journey

but then again it is only a 5 hour flight to Egypt :eek:)

It's a hike from the UK, or from anywhere, for that matter, but Cocos Island is fabulous for hammerheads, silkies, Galapagos sharks, and the occasional whale shark, marlin, or tiger shark.

it took me six flights to get to the Galapagos

it took me 2 days + 10 hours of continuous travel to get to Cocos

and it was so worth it when i got there

now I'm looking at going to Socorro and I believe it is another 2 1/2 day journey

but then again it is only a 5 hour flight to Egypt :eek:)
To Socorro from the UK would actually be easier. Direct flight from London to LA, then from LA to Cabo San Lucas on Baja California. On the liveaboard there, and then it takes ~24h to get to Socorro.

Selfishly, I'm looking for 2 people to take our spots for a Socorro trip on the Nautilus Explorer, 11/26 - 12/4. See post on the liveaboard and Mexico subforums.

Kade

I'd also go for the Caribbean, it's great weather and lots of life... not so close from UK but worth it I think. :)

I would highly recommend Sipadan, Malaysia. Been there a few times and you will get to see huge schools of barracudas and i mean HUGE - thousands of giant barracudas. And sharks, jacks etc..if you have never been there, then it's worth the visit. I've been to the Red Sea and many other world renowned dive sites and Sipadan still rates high on my list.

If you are looking for big stuff maldives could be a good place during january,february and march.

but make sure you jump on a boat not a resort. Also check with the agent to which atolls they travel.

Vaavu Atoll (Felidhe Atoll)
Meemu Atoll

these 2 atolls could be good..lots of grey reefs white tips , Jacks ......etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom