Big Pine Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hiya,

We are taking a trip to Bahia Honda from May 6-10. We will be camping at the park and renting a boat from somewhere. There are currently just 2 of us. Since the SB folks seem to have Florida wired for success, I thought I would ask you guys.

We want to rent a boat 17-19' nothing fancy, just reliable transport.

Question 1: What operations would you rent a boat from in the Big Pine Key area?

Question 2: Are there any great dive shops in the area who fill bottles while you wait?

Question 3: Where should we dive? We are down for simple dives where maximizing BT is a plus.

Question 4: Anybody else interested in going for that time (or a day trip or two)?

I have always wanted to go to the Keys and explore a few sites by boat, but always managed to bump another trip ahead of it. Well, it's time to gain some local knowledge. All info (and suggestions) are appreciated.

We hope to boat and dive from 9A to 4P for 3-4 days. Following this would be blended beauties with a rum floater and picture review, hammock trips, and Coleman stove food, sides with grilled entrees. H20 for hydration, then naptime. Nothing fancy, just relaxation X10!

We would like to do a night dive some time also, but that depends on logistics and "relaxation level"!

I've rented from I think is Jay's rentals at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge if I recall the location is on the approach to the Island from Bahia Honda on the ocean side.

Nice operation and nice boats with GPS coolers etc. Don't recall the daily rate.
Depends on boat size, it is a $500 deposit and a huge deposit if you take the boat away over night. They have a website.

From there you can go out and do the patch reefs, not deep at all and pretty fun.

As to going to Looe, yes thats a few miles on. I'd really suggest just using a commercial operator though. It can be considerably rougher at looe and out to the Busch they know all the mooring spots etc. Doing any damage to reefs can cost big time.

I've spent a lot of time at Big Pine and its a great place to dive.

You can still rent boats at the Fishing lodge, it'll be the first left as you get on Big Pine.
Another boat rental joint is on the right just before the No Name Bridge.
Just so ya know, there are campsite rentals at the Fishing Lodge too, the area will probably be more secure than the State Park, where the bad guys like to prowl & nab anything that isn't nailed down very hard.
There are a lot of strip reefs just South of the Bridge there, and a few very big coral heads (at least 10') immediately off the SE corner of Big Pine.
On the plus side for Bhia Honda State Park, you can access the bridges for some interesting shallow dives, just be careful the tide doesn't take ya for a ride. Right at the incoming tide is best, that way clearer water is coming in & if ya get swept away you're not on yer way to Havana. :wink:
Be sure to hit Aromas coffee shop, it's near the auto parts store by the bike shop. Best espresso on the Key & their Cuban sandwiches are great too.

Call the folks at Lime Tree Motor Inn miles marker 67.5 in the Keys. Ask them for the name of the place right next door. Real nice folks. They rent all size pontoon boats and skis. Nice folks. Oh yeah I said that.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom