Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barias4641

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Aloha, My wife and I are going to be traveling to the Big Island in March for 6 days then to Oahu for 7 days. We are looking in to getting certified on the Big Island. Does any one have suggestions who to go through? I have checked with Kona Aquatica and they are booked with a charter during my time there. Any other suggestions?

Mahalo
Brandon

If you're in Kona, I've been pretty impressed with the professionalism of Jack's Diving Locker...

If you want a more laid back island style tour, i'd recommend Rad Rob @ Ocean Eco Tours but maybe more on the adventure tip than the certification.

Another vote for Jack's if you are in Kona. However there are several good dive ops there, so shop around. Weather in Kona is typically pretty good year round as it is on the leeward side of the island, so it's a good location choice if you have a limited "window" of time to get certified (as when on a vacation).

Have Fun!

Glad to hear you are interested in becoming certified divers. You're going to have so much fun! There are a couple of different scheduling options for dive classes. There are three day and four day courses. Both are based on home-study...so you'll want to start on that right away. You'll also want to make your class reservations pretty soon as many of the shops in town are fairly busy, including us. We've had some cool diving experiences lately...listening to humpbacks singing while we're diving, snorkeling with a whaleshark a couple of weeks ago, snorkeling with about 100 hammerheads earlier in the week...lots of fun!

Kona reviews In a post near the bottom - I collected these a few months ago.

I've been diving big island divers religiously since 01 cause they go more than the extra mile for you. if your gonna do the tech stuff i'd go with jack's is hard to beat, if I bring my rebreather there...have to go with jacks, but if your gonna do AIR or education, I most highly recommend big island.
laytah

I recommend Jack's. Give them a call or e-mail. I agree that whoever you choose, you'll want to make your reservations ASAP. Good luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom