Big island vacation / dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a "work" event on the big island in April, and we are staying up near Puako for a few days.

We'd like to extend the trip and experience diving on the Big Island. Would you recommend staying at the same hotel in Puako, and driving to Kona and diving with operators down there, moving to a hotel near Kona after the work trip is over, or something else?

Thanks!

Dive at Puako with either Kohala Divers or Blue Wilderness.

Then, get a VRBO in Kona and go with one of the Kona ops.

At least, that's what I would do.

Either way, you're going to have fun, especially if you go with an open mind and realize that Hawaiian diving isn't like the Caribbean with its large, colorful sponges and corals. It's more subtle, but with about 1/4 of what you seen not being able to be seen anywhere else in the world.

If you'd like a list of dive and restaurant recommendations that I've accumulated on a number of trips there, send me a PM.

Sounds good. Exactly what we did for a similar trip to Oahu. 3 days in Waikiki, followed by a VRBO in Kailua.

Thx

Besides the two mentioned above, Waikoloa Coast Divers is an option.

There's a guide that used to work out of the Puako area that had a good reputation also if you want to shore dive there - the two Puako dives are supposed to be good. I don't remember the guide's name but he was mentioned here a few times - maybe even once by me in a previous thread a few years ago.

Roy's is always good based on my experience at several of them. Roys Hawaii  |  Roys Hawaii Home

Once you move down if you don't have an operator in mind, we liked Kona Diving Company.

The Puako diving was much more enjoyable than we had imagined. We hired a local Guide and he was great. After diving a couple of the sites a few times now, we could handle the navigation on our own. But initially it is VERY helpful to have a Guide. There is a swim out and you want to drop in the right location. We used a DM/Instructor in Puako names Richard (and I can't remember his last name) but I reccomend him if you can find his info online. One suggestion...bring your own gear or rent from a Kohala shop for better quality. While in Puako don't miss Beach 69 (beautiful and has shade trees). You can snorkel and dive there too.

Last trip we stayed in Puako and drove down to Kona for 5 days of Kona diving. Totally doable, but I wouldn't do it again. My suggestion is relocate to Kona for those dive dates unless you are a super early riser. In Kona we like Kona Bali Kai for condos (ocean front and next door to the Poke Shack) but there are lots of great hotels/resorts. Like Diversteve I reccomend Kona Diving Company. They're my favorite. Not my favorite operation in Kona...my favorite operation period. And check out the 3 tank dives (often on Wednesday and Sat or Sun). April may be too early in the year for them to be headed north, but if they are Hoovers Pinnacle is a great site. It is a manta ray cleaning station where I've had multiple mantas for 20-30 minutes just cruising around. Kona dive company does not do the black water pelagic dive...so if that is on your "to do" list I reccomend Big Island Divers.

Have a great trip!

let's get this out of the way now to save you all typing.

There's ZERO chance I'd do that black water dive. I've seen one video of Oceanic White tips showing up and that dive, and I do NOT like those sharks. Nope. :cool2:

Thanks for the tips, all!

If you're doing mostly boat diving, I don't know if you would exhaust the Kohala area sites in a week or so. I haven't done any of the boat sites up there, but have heard there is good coral along the Kohala coastline. Shore diving opportunities are more plentiful from a Kona base, and I prefer the weather and environs there over Puako by a long shot.

The only Kona to Kohola road can get incredably choked and can take lot longer than you would think. So be careful on timing.

The guy who runs most of the black water dives for Jacks says big animals are rare. The thing he saw that make him the most nervous was not a big animal, it was a cookiecutter shark, he only saw it once and that was sufficient for him. But he did saw that having a dolphin decide to play was a bit disturbing, as they come out of nowhere. But it was an interesting trip. A little mullet was the biggest critter we saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom