Big Island shore dive for Tinker's Butterfly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend drives Green Sands Shuttle and asked me if I could attempt an uw search on behalf of the deceased friends who were understandably worried. They rented dive gear after a day and a half of searching was unsuccessful but no way were they going to be able to dive that day. Friend drove me into Green Sand early am. Conditions were approaching my comfort limit. Doubt I would have been successful without the DPV and having my SMB and finger spool made it fast and safe for the search and rescue dive team to retrieve him.

So what's over there, at Green Sand Beach? Just sand or rocks, corals etc?

Bay is sand. Rock and coral on the edges. Scattered reef on the entrance. Big running reef on a shallow bench on the outside. A lot of whats down here requires a DPV in my opinion. Currents run heavy and can switch fast. South Point waters are considered some of the most dangerous in the state.

Well, off Broken Rd it is very different. No current and best visibility on the island.

Back
Top Bottom