Big Island Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving with Kona Honu Divers last year and very impressed with their staff and boats. We dove along the old airport area north of Kona and also did the night Manta Ray dives. I was very happy with the dives and the service and wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

Does anybody have some thoughts on the best dive sites, boat dives and which shop(s) are best to go through on the Big Island?

My family and I dove with Big Island Divers last summer while we were on the Big Island for two weeks.

I was very happy with the shop, the boat captains and the DMs. On the two-tank dives they provided sandwiches, drinks, popcorn and pretzels during the surface interval.

They also provided an heated shower at the back of the boat and hair conditioner to help with the any salt damage.

When you exited from the water they had you sit on the transom and they removed the tank from the BC and paced it back in the tank rack. If you were diving with them for multiple days you just left the BC and wet suite with them.
Once they got back to the shop they would rinse the BC and wet suit and hang them to dry.

The next day you were scheduled to dive they made sure the BC & wet suit were on the boat.

On one two-tank dive a person had a computer problem. The captain swapped it out for one of theirs at the transom. The diver never had to leave the water.

During the two-week period I experienced two of their captains and probably four of their dive masters. I was very happy with all of them.

The Manta Ray dive was excellent. I thought the Black Water dive was over-hyped.

Some of the dive sites I dove are

Sand Chute
Golden Arches
Garden Eel Cove

Ditto on Big Island Divers. Diving with the Manta Rays was simply amazing.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to main Ohana forum

I had an enjoyable time diving with Dive Makai while on Kona.

I used Big Island divers a couple of years ago and had a great dive at the Manta site, they were quite helpful after the dives. I would use B.I.D. again.

I concur with the good words from others about big island divers. Dove with them for a week in May and had a great time. If you do the manta ray dive, consider doing the 2-tank dive. First dive is the twilight dive where we saw a few mantas, then you do your SI before the night dive. We had tons of mantas that night. We did the night dive a second time which was even more fabulous. We knew what to expect already and stayed a little further back from the crowd and got a nicer view of the mantas ballet. Also, we were lucky to have a visit from crazy frank, the resident and very friendly moray. Also we played with a few quids hanging around.

Have fun in Kona.

C.

We did a manta ray dive with Big Island Divers and were well treated (only one manta, unfortunately). However, by far, the best DM on the island is now Patrice Heller at Pacific Rim Divers. Those of you who remember the "old" Dive Makai with Lisa, Kendra, etc., will be quite happy with Patrice. Best critter finder leading dives on the big island right now. 6 max on her boat and Walt, the captain, is first class. Great, classy outfit, with an emphasis on personal service and finding the unusual critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom