Big Island - Diving where lava enters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard that you can dive where the lava pours into the water. I'll be on the big island at the end of the month and thought that would be really cool to see. Anyone know about this?

Thanks.

well it may be prohibited, there seems to have been someone who claimed to do it some time ago but not sure about the "charter" details, not sure if anyone does it now, the lava entry points have changed a lot I think in the last couple years.

Ok, thanks. It was worth looking into. I'll just do my regular diving and the boat that goes near it.

No ocean entry of lava right now, but that could change at any time. While it may seem like an exciting thing to do, it is incredibly dangerous. Conditions can change without warning. I know of one guy who did it, but he was an experienced technical diver and was hired by a film company to take video of the lava underwater. At least he was getting paid to risk his neck.

it is incredibly dangerous

Yes, there are occasionally very large underwater explosions, not necessarily right where the lave appears to be flowing into the ocean (just to mention one danger).

Back
Top Bottom