Big Island diving in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My partner and I are headed off to the Big Island in early December for my 50th birthday... Can't wait! I plan to dive with Jack's Diving locker due personal recommendations from friends and work colleagues.

Question: what will water temps be like in December? I plan to do several multi-dive days, and I'm not the type that gets cold easily. Can I get away with just a 1mm or dive skin in December?

It's about 78/79 right now, usually starts dropping around sometime between late November/mid December or so. 1 mil's a little thin for most people, be prepared to layer up with a 3 mil shorty if that's all you bring.

I go to the Big Island pretty much every year in early December. I usually use a 2.5 fullsuit and but get cold after long (60-90') or repetitive dives. I took a 5/4 fullsuit last year and that was very nice in the water, but required more care with overheating before the dive. I think for me the 3mm fullsuit with additional 2mm top and shorts for layering, and a hood, would cover the gamut between short active dives and longer sedentary dives, like the manta dive. I'd put myself in the middle about cold-sensitivity, and I'd rather be over- than under-insulated.

I sport my own blubber so a 1 mil fullsuit works fine for me. Most of my friends either use 3/2s or 5/4s. A few people use 7s but they're very thin and are diving a lot. Water temperature here is basically 75 year round (ignoring the shallows where it'll be closer to 80 near summer).

If you're like me, you'd probably be okay with a 1 mil; however a 3 mil wouldn't hurt to bring if you're concerned about sizing issues for a rental, etc. If it's only taking up space in a suitcase, I'd say bring it.

Saturday I did 3 1 hour dives.. was in the water for 4 hours total, pretty shallow around 30 feet max. Sunday I did 1 dive to 100ft and then another to 45. Didn't get cold on either dive in my 1 mil. Personally it works better to throw on a hoodie in between dives as with my larger size I hold heat pretty well.

How is the swell in December? I know it picks up in December but will it prevent me from shore diving? Is it wise to plan a trip to Kona coast for early December?

How is the swell in December? I know it picks up in December but will it prevent me from shore diving? Is it wise to plan a trip to Kona coast for early December?

Kona is normally well-protected in the winter because it is on the leeward side of the island, so you can usually plan on almost year-round shore diving in Kona.

However, a big North Pacific winter storm to the northwest can send swells that will make shore diving on the exposed shores impossible for a few days.

Anyway, Kona in December is usually a fairly safe bet, but an occasional storm can cancel dives for a few days.

Best wishes.

LeadTurn is right about the winter swell, but given moderate swell there are more sheltered areas. The Puako area is generally the safest bet when conditions area choppy, and early morning is oft better than later in the day.

Will dive boats still go out on these days?

Will dive boats still go out on these days?

Hope this explanation isn't too confusing....

It really depends : On the swell direction, and how "big" the swell is. There are often/usually dive sites that are protected by curves and "bumps" in the coastline.

Understand that I'm talking about something that does not occur every year.... the prevailing wind pattern in Hawaii (Tradewinds) typically results in Kona being "sheltered". It is just when an occasional big North Pacific winter storm occurs in just the right position that big swells can hit the Kona coast. It does not happen every year. There can be periods where the swell is up a bit in the winter, but the boats will still usually be able to find good spots (there are a lot of moorings along the coast).... and shore diving may still be possible in some areas, but not others, again completely depending on swell direction and coastline features.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom