Big Island Dive Operators Offering HP 100s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronbeau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do any of the dive operators on the Big Island offer HP 100s?

My family will be spending two weeks on the Big Island this summer.
I would prefer HP 100s instead of Al 80.

I did do a search but most of the posts were for people looking to buy or sell HP cylinders.

My family will be spending two weeks on the Big Island this summer.
I would prefer HP 100s instead of Al 80.

I did do a search but most of the posts were for people looking to buy or sell HP cylinders.

Why would you want 100s instead of 80s, I just came back from the Big Island and dove with Big Island divers with 80's. The first dive was 1:06 minutes, the second dive was also over an hour and even with a 3mm wet suit I was freezing after the second dive. The water was 76F Brrrrr! Last time we were there the water was 81F and that was comfortable.
Image191copy.jpg

I guess if you dive deeper or have a higher-than-average sac rate you'd want a bigger tank. I prefer diving a 100 cu foot when diving a single tank. I have seen people who only get a 20 minute dive; that extra 5 minutes is a 25% longer dive! B&B scuba(on Maui) can provide you with 100 cu foot Al 100's if you request them (maybe an extra fee). I don't know of any other ops who offer the 100 cu footers..

Sean

I more or less agree with Caymaniac. I've had people telling me they need me to pull out my 95s out of mothballs because they've just gotta have a bigger tank, only to see them get 65 to 85 minutes off an Al80, if not the first day then within an extra few days of diving - there are hints that can get most divers diving over an hour a pop within just a few dives.

There's not a lot of HP 100s floating around here, I suspect the tech guys do have them. Al80s are by far the most common tank here, followed by AL72s (99.9 percent of the divers don't realize they're not AL80s) and steel 72s.

I still have my HP100 but do not use it. With a 3mm suit, I would have no ditchable weight were I to dive with it. Something to think about depending on your gear config.

I loved that tank in SoCal with a 7mm suit though.

And, it is pretty easy to get right up to the NDL here on an AL80, so unless you are into deco diving, not sure what the HP100 will get you.

I rented some LP95s from Dive Tek Adventures in Kona. Worked really well for me. (Thanks guys!)

I just prefer diving a steel tank and agree with Ronbeau. Use much less weight with a 3mm, better valve conection, dont have to use that silly yoke adapter, and its lower profile than the aluminum. Oh yeah and more air for deeper dives and yes a little extra deco time is not so bad if it gets you the bottom time and depth you require. Too bad steel tanks are so rare I think its because Al tanks are so cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom