Big Island and Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Headed to these 2 island at the end of Jan. Would love some input on dive sites and dive charters.
Thanks

Hello! And welcome to ScubaBoard! :admingreet:

I haven't dove Maui but have dove the Big Island twice now and would love to go back again.

Dive shop: Big Island Divers!!!!! Big Island Divers Diving Scuba Snorkel Kona Hawaii Manta Ray Black water pelagic magic dive

What type of diving experience do you have?

Plan to do the Night Manta Ray Dives. I have never heard anyone say that they didn't like it! I also liked the Black Water Dive, but that is a dive not for the faint of heart!

Have a great time!!

Nice_Notion,

I've only been to Maui twice and Kona (Big Island) once - so I'm hardly an expert on the possibilities, but here's what I'd offer:

On Maui, for boat diving, we dove with B&B Scuba. They leave from the South Kihei boat ramp at around 6 AM - if memory severs... it was early! The good news is that if you are travelling with non-divers, you'll be back (after two dives) by the time they've had breakfast! They try and dive Molokini crator (weather permitting) and then do a near-shore dive for the second. The DM's are great and the boat has everything you'll need - minus a large crowd. As for shore diving, we did Five Graves (a bit of a tricky entry, but not too bad if the swell is low), Kapalua Beach (go out to the right when you get to the beach) and Ka'anapali Beach (lots of free parking). Near-shore vis will be lower, but still lots to see in all the places we went. Here's a photo taken at Five Graves:

Hawaiian%20Dascyllus.jpg

As for the Big Island, there are lots of dives possible, but I'd suggest you don't miss "Two-Step" a bit south of Kona and Honokohau Harbor in Kona - great spots with tons of fish and good coral growth. Here's a photo taken at the harbor and "Two-Step", respectively:

IMG_1446-Blue-stripe-Snappe.jpg

IMG_0178-resized.jpg

Like I said, there are lots of possibilities and places to dive on both islands - we purchased books and planned the next days' dive/activities the night or two before. Most books are relatively complete and have all the best spots described. The only caveat I'd offer is that sometimes the directions in the books are not so... clear. That's all I'll say about that!

Hope this helps - have a great time!

Lee

For several years I made frequent trips to Maui, mostly staying in West Maui, but diving both out of Lahaina and Kihei. In 2004 I bought a condo in Kihei and started spending 3 or 4 months there each winter. Although I have my own favorites, I do try to go out with the other dive ops now and then just to keep track of how they are doing. Here are my observations and opinions .......

All dive ops will have good days and bad days. Different people weight different aspects of a dive trip differently. Many posts on SB are simply "XXX dive op is great!", without comparison to others. The following comments are an attempt to highlight the differences between the various operators so that you can find the ones that match up best with what is important to you.

West Maui vs South Maui Where you are stay makes a big difference as to which dive operators are conveniently located. It is a 50 minute drive between Kihei and Kaanapali when the traffic is light, and much longer midday. West Maui includes Lahaina, the Kaanapali resort area, and places like Kahana, Napili, and the Kapalua resort. South Maui includes Kihei, Wailea, and Makena.[/b]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maui Dive Op Review Maui has lots of good dive ops and the old "pick a random name out of the yellow pages" approach will work. Many of the dive ops have a particular personality that make them better suited for particular types of divers.

Harbors and Boat Ramps
Lahaina Harbor and Mala Ramp are in West Maui, just a few minutes from the popular Kaanapali resort area. This is the best departure point for going to Lanai. While some operators do run from Maalea or Kihei over to Lanai, it's a long boat ride that will seem even longer on the return trip after the tradewinds kick up the seas in late morning. Similarly, Kihei boatramp is the closest to Molokini and driving to there is better than taking the longer boatride from Lahaina to Molokini.

Maalea Harbor is the closest departure point to Molokini for larger boats that don't run out of Kihei boat ramp.

Kihei Boat Ramp is the closest departure point for Molokini. Several 6 passenger and 12 passenger boats depart from the boat ramp.

Figure on taking about 50 minutes to get to Kihei boat ramp from Kaanapali in the morning (This assumes you stay on the highway to Keonekai Rd, just after MileMarker 9, rather than going the length of S. Kihei Rd).

DIVE OPERATORS
It's hard to find a bad operator on Maui. The choice of dive op is more a case of finding the one that best suits your personality and dive style. The character of the trips is set by both the crew and also what sort of clientele that dive ops has.

Lahaina Divers, departing from Lahaina harbor, and Maui Dive Shop (Maalea boat and check-in for the big boats; and Kihei outlet store check-in and Kihei boat ramp departure for the 12 passenger boats) are the biggest operators, with multiple boats. Lahaina Divers has the biggest boats going to Lanai and are best for those prone to seasickness. Lahaina Divers is used to working with new and occasional divers. If you are prone to seasickness, then the large Lahaina Divers boats are the preferred trip to Lanai. Maui Dive Shop runs a 1 tank trip to Molokini backwall from Kihei boatramp. Although other dive ops frequently do the backwall, this is the only trip that specifically targets it. Lahaina Diver and Maui Dive Shop are by far the biggest dive charter companies. Since there is not the same level of owner involvement in the day-to-day boat operation that you see with the smaller operators, there will be more variation in atmosphere and how things are run.

Extended Horizons is a 12 pack out of Mala Ramp. The owner often Captains the boat. They spend a lot of time talking to the divers on the trip over to Lanai in order to assign divers to 2 groups by experience level. My favorite dive op for Lanai.

Hawaiian Rafting is another 12 pack going to Lanai from Mala. The boat is not as nice as Extended Horizons ... a lot bumpier ride, and getting back onboard involves more degearing. It's been quite a while since I've used them, so I'm not positive they have the same boat or even whether they are still doing biz under this name.

SOUTH MAUI BOATS

Mike Severns is run by Pauline, a biologist, who often DMs on her 12 passenger boat. My personal favorite. Outstanding briefings on the flora and fauna you are likely to see on each dive. Pauline is the person the other dive ops go to with their questions about marine life. In addition to the standard Molokini and S. Maui coral dominated dive sites visited by others, Mike Severns often does the 80' sand and algae dives like the tank and landing craft. If you are a fish nerd, this is definitely your boat. The captain and mate go diving during your SI, so you will have a nice long SI. They also do a lot of exploration to find new dive sites. DMs don't rush you out of the water, and I've done lots of 60+ minute dives with them, both at Molokini and S. Maui. Highly recommended.

Ed Robinson Dive Adventures runs two 12 passenger boats out of Kihei boatramp. Another class operation. They tend towards more aggressive dive profiles than other operators. Their 3 tank dive trip typically starts off with a drop down to 130' to either check out some black coral and a shark condo, or to another spot to see some long finned anthias. I've also hit those same spots a couple times with ERDA on their normal 2 tank trips. As with other 12 px boats, they split into two groups of 6 based on experience level. They also have an "adventure dive" trip for more experienced divers. Very relaxed atmosphere where you pretty much do your own thing rather than following a DM.

B&B Scuba runs a 12 passenger jet-boat out of Kihei boat ramp. B&B is the #1 favorite of many others on Scubaboard, but in my list comes in as a close #3, right behind Mike Severns and Ed Robinson. Generally departs a while after ProDiver, but it's a tossup as to who gets to Molokini first. There are usually several DMs and instructors onboard. This boat does well with new divers and infrequent divers. Dives tended to be about 45-50 minutes long.

ProDiver Maui has a full-sized 34' boat run as a 6 pack. 5:45AM check-in, 6AM departure. Often returns as early as 10:30-11AM, which works out well for divers with non-diving spouses. Nice boat, with a head and tons of room for just 6 divers. As with other 6 packs, since there is only 1 group of 6 going into the water, the dive sites chosen must be suitable for the least experienced diver onboard.

Scuba Shack also runs a a 12 passenger jet-boat similar to B&B. Both Capt Darryl and the owner, Charlie, are interesting characters. Due to crowded boat an awkward exit gate, and weird vibes from the owner, it isn't one of my favorites.

Dive and Sea Maui is a 6 pack owner-operator boat. He got a new boat in early 2008, a lovely catamaran. Unlike their old boat, it does have a head, but when I went with them in March 08 they were still clearing up some Coast Guard certification on the holding tank and it wasn't in serve. I had a good time on the trips I've taken with them .... kind of like a day on the water on a buddy's boat.

------------- other ---------------------------------

North Shore Explorers is a unique diveop that uses a high speed rigid hull inflatable to dive spots that most other dive ops never go to. 6 pack. Rather expensive. Very experienced captain and crew that went into business for themselves a couple of years ago.

Maui Diamond II runs out of Maalaea Harbor. I haven't used the boat since it changed owner/captain a year or two ago.

The snorkel excursion boats such as Teralani and the Trilogy boats offer diving on their excursions to Molokini and Lanai. Often, the divers are non-certified divers doing a "discover scuba" dive, so the dive spots are chosen for depth and safety instead of attractiveness. When taking houseguests or family out on these trips, I just snorkel with them rather than going diving.

--------------------------------

Charlie Allen

Charlie99, thank you for the great outline of the dive shops on Maui.

We usually stay in Ka'anapali and go with Lahaina Diver but you have given me some things to think about.:)

WOW Charlie.........Thanks so much. I'm so excited about this trip. I'm going to be there 2 weeks and I plan to dive dive dive......:)

I have to agree with newmanl, Two-Step (Honaunau) is a must on the Big Island. The turtle cleaning stations there are fantastic and as mentioned before, there are a huge number of fish! As a side note for a landbased activity, if you drive to this dive spot from Kona, make sure you stop at the Coffee Shack Deli, awesome food (especially after a great dive) and amazing views.

Another dive spot I liked on the Big Island is right in the middle of Kona, Mile Marker 4. It is a shore dive with fairly easy entry (mind the urchins) and a bunch of interesting invertebrates.

If you get a chance, Kealakekua Bay is beautiful. I worked on a boat that went there every day and if you can get in before the crowds arrive its pretty damn nice. Keep an eye out for the resident spinner dolphins and any passing Humpbacks...

I did mostly shore dives and had my own gear so we only used the shops to get our tanks filled. We used Jack's Diving Locker mainly because it was central and has pretty much anything you could ever want. I can't compare it to other shops, but I have heard good things about Big Island Divers.

We dive Maui every year and IMO at least one charter to Lanai is essential to the Maui dive experience. Charlie99 did a GREAT job writing up information about each operator (kudos!).

For a personal example, we stay in Kaanapali and used to dive with Lahaina Divers, but now drive to Kihei to dive with Ed Robinson's for Molokini and S. Maui charters. We did our OW and AOW with Lahaina Divers and found their training to be excellent, their attention to detail and safety excellent, and their crew to be very good and usually a lot of fun. However, we feel that they are geared a bit more toward the occasional or beginning diver, and provide a bit more "supervision" than we like. We do continue to book our Lanai charters with them as I prefer the big 46' Newton boats for a comfortable crossing. We almost always have a lot of fun with them on our Lanai charters because we know what to expect and that it won't be a perfect match to what we would prefer, so just go with the flow.

We began diving with Ed Robinson's about 3 years ago, and really enjoy that they are geared toward the more experienced diver. We like being able to dive our air or NDL (whichever comes first), and being able to make decisions about our dives. This will be the first year (next week!!) that we'll be doing their "X" charters, which are geared toward more independent and/or UW photographers providing slower, more relaxed dives.

I've always heard great things about B&B, Mike Severns, Extended Horizons, and North Shore Explorers to name a few, though I don't have first hand experience with any of them. There's also some good shore diving on Maui according to many folks, though I haven't experienced many of those and prefer to get on a boat. :wink:

Headed to these 2 island at the end of Jan. Would love some input on dive sites and dive charters.
Thanks

We haven't been to Maui (yet) but did Kona 2 years ago. We picked Kona Honu Divers for a couple of reasons - the biggest one is for space on the boat. I dive with a video rig and my husband dives with a still camera rig (large with double strobes) and we needed a boat with a camera table. We hate having to sit our camera on the floor between dives and have people stepping over them. It just isn't safe for divers or the camera gear! Kona Honu has a dedicated camera table and plenty of space to walk around on SI which was nice. Also, the DMs we thought were excellent, the best of which was Frank. :D We found them all to be knowledgeable of the sealife in the area, plus they have the Fish ID books right there on the camera table so you can look things up and ask questions during SI, too. :D
Hawaii Scuba Diving and Whale Watching Tours - Dolphin Excursions
They now have 2 boats but both look big and roomy. (I hate having to sit on a bench seat for an hour SI - I like to get up and walk around, chat with other divers, etc.)

While there on the island we did check out Big Island Divers and Jacks Diving Locker and both looked like great dive ops. So if you don't have the camera issues, one of those might work for you.

robin:D

Shore diving in Maui.

The visibility nearshore obviously will not be as good as out at Molokini, and most of the time the viz at Lanai will also be great because there is so little runoff from that island. But shore dive has a few advantages, such as being done whenever you choose, and being CHEAP.

A pretty good guide to the main snorkel and dive spots is the free brochure/magazine "Maui Dive Guide" that you will find sitting on the counter at the various Maui Dive Shop branches. While the book "The Divers' Guide to Maui" by Chuck Thorne has info on many more dive sites, it doesn't add much info on the popular sites beyond what is in the Maui Dive Shop free guide.

DIVE GUIDES

There are lots of instructors/DMs that will take people on guided dives. I'll just mention two.

Shaka Doug here on scubaboard is a guy with a lot of aloha spirit and the unique "scuba bus". If you are driving down the road and see a bunch of bubbles floating through the air, you'll probably find the scuba bus a few cars ahead of you. Welcome to SHAKA DIVERS Web Site!

The dive shack in the Sheraton, right at the base of Black Rock does guided dive.

-----------------------------------------
SOUTH MAUI

Going on your own, the best spot to start in S. Maui is Ulua. Easy entry. Easy navigation. The main problem is limited parking that fills up with beachgoers and snorklers, typically before 10AM.

Makena Landing is the other very popular spot in South Maui. Also called 5 Caves; 5 Graves; some snorkel boats also call it Turtletown; and just to be extra confusing some call it by what you find on nautical charts ---- Nahuna Point. The initial swim out is a bit longer than Ulua, but again the navigation is very simple -- keep the reef/rocks on the right going out, on the left to get back.

WEST MAUI

Kidspot can supply better info, since I rarely bother to make the trip over to west Maui. Old Airport aka Kahekili Beach is a popular dive training site for West Maui (as is Ulua Beach for S. Maui). Lots of stuff to look at even though the reef doesn't have as much vertical relief as does Ulua. Basically you go a few 10's of yards into the ocean, and then swim along the reef parallel to the beach.

Black Rock is an interesting dive, but it can involve long walks to get to the entry point. One strategy is to drop all of the gear off at the golf course just to the north side of the Sheraton. Go park the car and walk back unencumbered. Then gear up, a short walk across the golf course and you can enter on the north side of Black Rock. You exit point is about 45 minutes away, on the South side of Black Rock. Average depth 30'. No exit in between. Because of this, the Sheraton dive shack normally does an out-and-back from beach on the South side. This is a great spot for a night dive.

Another very popular spot on the west side is Honolua Bay. Well north of Lahaina. During the winter swells this spot is also a popular surfing spot. The best surfer viewpoint is at the top of the hill just beyond Honolua Bay. Honolua bay is good for both diving and snorkeling. I love the walk down to the entry point through a little min-rainforest. The abandoned boat ramp can be very slippery.

Back
Top Bottom